Network Engineer for Energy Systems
Business Unit: Digital Grid Solutions & Services
Requisition Number: 225409
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Wendell
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 35%
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/energy-management.htm
The Digital Grid Substation Automation Systems group located in Raleigh, NC is looking for a Network Engineer to support Siemens in the design, development, implementation, and commissioning of networks to support substation automation systems and applications that incorporate Siemens or other automation products. The engineer will also develop new communication networking solutions on wireless communication platforms to enable distribution automation systems of the future.
Specific Job Responsibilities
• Design, development, implementation, testing, commissioning of substation automation communication networks.
• Implementation, testing, commissioning of communication systems
• Communication network design and configuration
• Interface with customers, including trouble shooting and commissioning support
• Provide technical back-office support for the sales/proposal teams
• The candidate will be required to travel to project sites
-BS in Network Engineering Technology and Cyber Security
-Applied knowledge of;
-Communication Network Technologies, including design, configuration, and troubleshooting
-Communication protocols such as IEC61850, DNP, Profibus, Profinet, OPC, Modbus
-Design and deploy Substation LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, hubs, switches, and other hardware.
-Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
Provide team guidance on new and existing equipment, hardware, and software selections and upgrades.
• Applied knowledge of wireless communication technologies including WiMAX, Wi-Fi and cellular systems.
• Design of network schematics for substations networks and field device wireless communication networks.
• Configure all networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation.
• Test experience of Ethernet based Communication networks
-Solid understanding Cyber security requirements and standards for substations such as NERC CIP.
-Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices -
• Demonstrated good verbal and written communication skills.
• Adept with Microsoft Office Applications and Tools
• Minimum four years experience in the Network Engineering field.
• Knowledge of US communication standards., working for Utility and Industrial customers.
• Knowledge of at least one of the following vendors' communication products, RuggedCom, Cisco, Garrettcom, Scalance, etc ...
• Knowledge of modern Computer technologies
• Drafting abilities using AutoCAD or Microstation
• Project Execution experience
• Team Lead/Project Lead experience