Fire Systems Design Engineer II - Commercial Fire/Life Safety - Baltimore, MD
Business Unit: Region Americas
Requisition Number: 225662
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-Baltimore
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 15%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the world market leader for safe, energy efficient and environmentally friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, consultant, service provider, system integrator and product supplier, Building Technologies offers fire protection, security, building automation, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) and energy management products and services.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/building-technologies.htm
This office-based position is responsible for the design of both fire/life safety and security/access control systems using company tools and operating protocols. Receives project specifications from sales team and project managers.
· Chooses the appropriate mix of products and installation methods to provide the most cost effective solution. Prepares all required submittals and schedules subsequent hand-off to operations. Handles the ordering of all required products and equipment.
· Acts as a technical resource to team and customer as needed. Participates in sales to operations turnover meetings to evaluate accuracy of the sales estimate and job layout. May participate in initial job site walk through with contractors and/or building management.
· May need to create unique design solutions to meet specific customer requirements. Designs both fire/life safety and security/access control systems for large and/or complex buildings consisting of mechanical system layouts, electrical drawings, bill of materials and sequence of operations to meet the intent of the project plans, specifications and contract documents.
· Prepares specifications and drawings for both fire/life safety and security/access control systems including special components and panels purchased from outside suppliers. Selects proper types and sizes of company products and outside suppliers to meet project requirements. Prepares all information on pre-installation extras or change orders to submit to customer or general/ subcontractor.
· Oversees the creation of system graphics. Ensures the job folder is organized and maintained including all pertinent job related information. Orders and tracks all required products and materials for timely delivery on the job site. May perform some field activities as required.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
· Associates degree in Electronics or other technical field or equivalent experience.
· 1-3 years engineering /systems or other related experience.
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Packaged required.
· Good verbal and written communication skills.
· Able to design medium to large standard jobs with some deviation from standard tools, products or practices.
· Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
· NICET Level I, II or III
· Strong knowledge of industry engineering fundamentals and business operations.
· AutoCAD, CAD Training or any related Engineering Design Software.
· 1-4 years engineering experience.