Analyzer Systems Engineer-Petrochemical and Refining- Industry-TX
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 225746
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
For more information, please visit:
Siemens US Talent Acquisition
Engineering design for analytical and instrumentation systems for petrochemical/refining industry applications.
The engineer supports the analytical system integration project business by leading the project design effort and approval of the project Bill of Material. The engineer will provide support to project management, materials personnel, and craftsman throughout the phases of all projects assigned. This position will report to the System Integration Engineering Manager within the Analytical Products & Solutions Business Segment, Process Automation Business Unit, Process Industries & Drives Division.
The engineer is accountable for the financial performance, delivery performance, and customer satisfaction for all projects assigned.
The engineer is responsible for the complete technical solution provided for all projects assigned.
Engineer responsibilities for a typical project include:
- Determine the proper analytical system integration solution for the application – as defined by the project quotation, budget, customer specifications, customer analyzer data sheets.
- Evaluate / select equipment to ensure the solution offered meets requirements of the customer specifications.
- Direct the project designer in the creation of detailed drawings for shelters or racks including the following drawing types: plan views, elevations, electrical power / signal / communication wiring diagrams, utility piping and tubing schematics, sample conditioning system flow schematics, detailed sample probe drawings, alarm system (relay or PLC) detailed wiring diagrams, and fabrication drawings.
- Specify the project Bill of Material.
- Approve material requisitions for purchase of equipment.
- Support craftsman during the production phase of the project.
- Support technician during testing and customer FAT phases of the project.
- Finalize design documentation to represent “as built” condition.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
It is required for the candidate to have a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Physics.
It is required for the candidate to have 5+ years’ successful experience in a project engineering role – working as the lead engineer.
It is required for the candidate to have 5+ years’ experience in selection / specification of equipment and creation of Bill of Materials.
It is required for the candidate to have 5+ years’ experience working as the lead technical contact for customers on projects assigned.
The engineer must be able to communicate complex design requirements with key customers, the design team, and craftsmen.
Candidate to have working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
It is preferred for the candidate to have 5+ years’ experience as a lead engineer for analytical system integration projects.
It is preferred for the candidate to be a registered P.E. in the State of Texas.
It is preferred for the candidate to have the following industry specific knowledge:
- Direct the complete design for analyzer system integration projects including: plan views, elevations, electrical power / signal, utility piping / tubing, sample conditioning systems, sample probes, and alarm systems (PLCs or Relay Logic).
- Ability to perform calculations: sample lag time, sample pressure drop, sample supply / return line sizing, sample dewpoint (using ChemCAD software), utility piping / tubing line sizing, tubing orifice sizing, valve / regulator Cv sizing, panelboard loading, transformer sizing, circuit breaker sizing, electrical conductor sizing, shelter weight.
- Working knowledge of codes / standards: NEC, IEC, API, NFPA, ISA
- Firm grasp of hazardous area classifications: Class I Division 1, Class I Division 2, ATEX Zone 1, and ATEX Zone 2 electrical areas.
- Experience with NEMA 7 electrical equipment for hazardous areas.
- Knowledge of analyzers including: Gas Chromatographs, UV/IR Continuous Gas Analyzers, Paramagnetic Continuous Gas Analyzers, FTNIR, CEMS, pH & conductivity, TOC, Zirconium Oxide / Catalytic Bead stack analyzers.
- Knowledge of analyzer applications: process, stack O2/Combustible, CEMS, HRVOC, Subpart Ja.
- Working knowledge of signal communications protocol: Modbus, OPC, TCP/IP Ethernet.
- Experience in reading / understanding petrochemical or refinery electrical, instrumentation, mechanical, structural specifications.
- Experience in reviewing analytical system integration quotations against a set of customer specifications and analyzer data sheets.
- Project experience in the field at a petrochemical or refinery site.
- Experience in mentoring new engineering / design personnel.
- Knowledge of software including: AutoCAD, SAP, ChemCAD, Visual Basic is a plus.