Mechanical Engineering Design Manager
Business Unit: Medium Voltage & Systems
Requisition Number: 226145
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Wendell
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
The objective of the EM MS Mechanical Design Supervisor is to lead and manage the group of mechanical designers responsible of developing new project-specific designs, as well as maintenance of existing assemblies, supporting the EM MS business targets of Delivery Reliability, Quality and Productivity.
- Manage the design schedules of all new parts and assemblies for new projects during engineering stages. This must be done considering the level of experience of the designers and their current workload.
- Ensure any new mechanical designs required to meet project specific requirements are completed on time to support the engineering release of the project.
- Identify any defects in any new designs required to meet project specific requirements.
- Lead and set up strategy for EM MS product maintenance with the focus on correcting known issues and minimizing nonconformance costs in the factory due to design errors.
- Provide support and ensure appropriate resources are assigned to the following functional teams (Product Support): R&D, Technical Product Managers, and Engineering Liaison in the factory.
- Lead process improvement initiatives related to the development and release of new mechanical assemblies.
- Continually push to improve our level of quality in all the active assemblies that can be used in projects (DTO Library). This includes making sure there are no defects that could cause problems with the functionality of the equipment, safety of the user, or rework in the factory during assembly.
- Ensure that best design practices (i.e. part numbering, use of typical assemblies, etc.) are properly used by the mechanical designers on their deliverables.
- Conduct mechanical Quality Checks, and lead initiatives for continuous quality improvement to increase First Pass Yield (FPY).
- Address all issues from the factory or the field regarding product functionality. Develop strategies to avoid recurrence of these.
- Coordinate with our internal System Development group to maintain a high level of efficiency and accuracy in the configurations generated by our product configurator.
On time delivery of engineering releases
NCCs due to design errors
Number of new designs created Number of closed product maintenance tasks
- Proven experience managing a team of mechanical engineers, designers & drafter (preference given to experience in the MV power distribution industry).
- Proven experience working with power distribution switchgear and systems.
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering (Mechanical Engineering Technology considered with applicable experience)
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment for highly customized and engineered products.
- Ability to analyze customer’s technical specifications regarding the application of power distribution equipment and apply appropriate product solutions to meet the customers’ expectations in cost-effective and timely manner.
- A minimum of 2 years of 3D design/drafting experience within engineering firms using 3D CAD Parametric packages (Solidworks), preference given to work in NX (Unigraphics).
- Ability to multitask and manage large workloads and business demands
- Strong written, verbal, mathematical, and interpersonal skills.
- An ideal candidate is detailed orientated and able to embrace a culture of quality & continues improvement.
- Proven ability to create, convert & modify 2D & 3D drawings.
- Strong work ethic and willing to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Ability to work overtime and weekends as necessary.
- 25% travel required.
- Direct experience with medium voltage switchgear (4.16kV to 38kV) and/or low voltage motor control centers (480V).
- Experience with Siemens medium voltage switchgear highly preferred
- Experience installing or operating medium voltage switchgear (4.16kV to 38kV) and/or low voltage motor control centers (480V).
- Previous experience with Team Center.
- Previous experience with SAP SalesForce knowledge, or equivalent CRM platform. Able to create reports, modify existing ones, create dashboards, request changes in the tool.
- Experience working with product configurators.
- A Masters Degree in Engineering is a plus with extra consideration given if degree is in Mechanical Engineering.