Director of Systems Engineering
Business Unit: Strategy & Innovation
Requisition Number: 226152
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 30%
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
Head of Systems Engineering to contribute to the success of a new molecular diagnostic platform architecture definition and development. The Head of Systems Engineering is responsible for leading all aspects of instrument system-level definition, architecture, integration, and verification. This person leads a team of systems engineers in the areas of architecture, requirements development, risk management, system simulation, integration and verification. They are responsible for resourcing, planning, and executing all engineering activities within assigned areas and the quality of the products produced. Initial responsibilities include staffing of the function through direct hiring and identifying co-development partners. This person works closely with the Heads of Molecular Technologies, Product Management, Program Management, Instrument Development, and the Chief Systems Architect to ensure the successful execution of projects. The Head of Systems Engineering will ultimately be responsible for an organization of 10-15 engineers.
· Serves as a key member of the MDX PLM HUB leadership team to align systems engineering activities to the long term objectives of the MDX organization.
· Direct responsibility for developing system requirements and system integration and verification. The systems engineering function provides the glue to bring all components of the final system together.
· Manages an engineering organization responsible for multiple projects. Identifies and obtains key talent.
· Direct responsibility for quality, reliability, reusability, development cost, and development timeline of engineering solutions delivered.
· Identifies needed decisions and drives the decision making process.
· Schedules and leads meetings to coordinate interdepartmental project activities required to resolve issues.
· Involved with negotiating, and then managing, business agreements between Siemens organizational units and between the project and suppliers, OEM partners, or Co-development partners.
· Monitors and resolves any unresolved resource bottlenecks as priorities and projects timelines change. Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing, service, and training.
· Responsible for capturing design knowledge and root causes of product performance degradation.
· Responsible for continually optimizing reusable architectural solutions.
· Responsible for engineering proficiency improvement in using advanced tools and methods for simulation based and model based development of complex systems.
· Heads overall organization assigned, and leads all related management and staff.
· Plans and manages overall budget for organization assigned.
· Creates and implements best practice product development vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to develop and improve business performance.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Master’s degree in engineering or science
· Demonstrated track record of 8-15 years leading a systems engineering team or acting as a lead systems engineer in an FDA regulated environment.
· Strong breadth of knowledge in the fields of systems engineering, biomedical engineering, fluidics, thermodynamics, instrument design, and mechatronic systems.
· Proven success of leading an engineering team in the delivery an FDA approved product to market.
· Ability to work and influence in a matrixed organization is essential
· Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to communicate rapidly and effectively within the organization and to represent the company in a professional manner
· Ability to create a product vision and champion that vision within the organization
· Business experience in resource allocation, budgeting, project management and leadership.
· Ability to shift resources and priorities to meet critical deadlines. Design and implement products including design optimization, robust engineering, product line engineering, and design transfer.
Create a high performance, quality focused team with a strong culture and respect for each other. Encourage and expect innovation and input from staff at all levels. Ensure the teams understand their impact to customer and patient health through their contributions to the enhanced product experience and ongoing expertise support.