Product Design Team Leader
Business Unit: Distributed Generation and Oil & Gas
Requisition Number: 226249
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Bethlehem
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens is the leading service partner for ensuring high reliability and optimal performance of rotating power equipment within the utility, oil & gas, and industrial processing industries worldwide – as well as for wind turbines. Siemens’ extensive national network of service technicians is able to quickly and comprehensively offer expert service to maximize the lifecycle of power generation equipment, helping to ensure reliability and prevent downtime.
For more information, please visit:
The Product Design Team Leader will be responsible for the daily operations of the Product Design Team. We are looking for someone who has a technical and operational knowledge with the desire to lead a team.
- Provide technical leadership and management of design staff for one or more of the Bethlehem fleets: Rolls Royce, Delaval, oOEM, Ingersoll Rand, Clark compressors.
- Accountable for aero performance & mechanical reliability of turbo compressors, in re-aero, modification, upgrades, design, construction, installation, aftermarket service and technical support for oil & gas customers worldwide.
- Solution Development is responsible for commercial success by supporting Marketing & Sales
- Provide technical advice and direction to Marketing Engineers at early stage of solution development, leveraging full portfolio of Siemens technology
- Review and approve final proposals in terms of technical content, engineering cost and schedule for opportunities to be executed in Bethlehem
- Interface with clients at technical qualification meetings, design reviews and on-site installation
- Contract Execution is accountable for execution of design orders to meet contract deliverables, quality and safety objectives
- Experienced in design including impeller flow-path, structural dynamics, rotordynamics, oil and dry gas seals, journal and thrust bearings, couplings and instrumentation
- Perform system integration including lube oil, seal oil, gas seal control, anti-surge control and system dynamic simulation
- Analyze test results (field or factory) to determine aero performance, design quality and operating deficiencies
- Skill in field diagnostic, trouble shooting, turnaround installation and startup
- Travel to support OLN manufacturing & test, repair center assembly, customer meetings, site inspections and turnarounds
- Management – Lead the engineering / drafting team to operational excellence
- Conduct annual performance review, salary planning, recruiting, training and coaching
- Facilitate team work between Bethlehem, Olean, Duisburg and Le Havre TCP EN teams on technical alignment, best practices, cost reduction and digitization initiatives
- Lead the weekly internal design & layout review of all contracts. Set design & drafting priorities, steer design direction to meet contract technical / budget / schedule commitment
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent
- Minimum of 8 year experience in turbomachinery design
- Strong product knowledge of one or more of the Bethlehem fleets
Up to 20% travel
- 2D CAD knowledge, Microsoft Office (especially Excel)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- M.S in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or equivalent
2+ years in technical coaching / supervisory role
- Strong in analytical disciplines such as mathematics, thermodynamic, rotordynamics, finite-elements
- Use of precision measurement tools such as micrometers, PI tapes, portable coordinate measuring machine including laser scanning and post-processing
- Proficient in 3D solid modeling