Business Unit: Distributed Generation
Requisition Number: 226312
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-Bethlehem
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services. Siemens is the leading service partner for ensuring high reliability and optimal performance of rotating power equipment within the utility, oil & gas, and industrial processing industries worldwide – as well as for wind turbines. Siemens’ extensive national network of service technicians is able to quickly and comprehensively offer expert service to maximize the lifecycle of power generation equipment, helping to ensure reliability and prevent downtime. For more information, please visit: https://www.siemens.com/us/en/home/company/about/businesses/powergeneration-services.html
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens is the leading service partner for ensuring high reliability and optimal performance of rotating power equipment within the utility, oil & gas, and industrial processing industries worldwide – as well as for wind turbines. Siemens’ extensive national network of service technicians is able to quickly and comprehensively offer expert service to maximize the lifecycle of power generation equipment, helping to ensure reliability and prevent downtime.
For more information, please visit:
A Solution Engineer is a problem solver that works with a team spanning the organization. The position requires a high level of technical knowledge, commercial knowledge, and good communication skills; all of which can significantly impact the performance of the organization.
The solution engineering professional possesses significant technical and commercial skills to resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways. The position requires a broad application of engineering principles, theories and concepts in applicable discipline, plus a working knowledge of other related fields. It is expected that the Solution Engineer will comply with all company policies and procedures; and fully use and apply standard principles, theories, concepts, and techniques. Established instructions are available for routine work and detailed instructions will be provided on new projects and/or assignments. At this level, it is expected that little instruction on day-to-day work is required, and only general instructions need to be provided on new assignments. Work will be reviewed by peers and/or manager for accuracy and overall adequacy.
The Solution Engineer must provide resolution to a diverse scope and range of complex problems where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors and needs to demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. The Solution Engineer must demonstrate good communication skills in order to frequently present complex subject matter to both internal and external customers. Solution Engineer's failure to obtain results or to make erroneous judgments or recommendations would normally have serious results and may require substantial expenditure of resources to correct and/or achieve organizational goals.
Scope of Responsibilities
A Solution Engineer can discern and address technical areas of concern; develop technical solutions; write, review, and comment to equipment specifications; identify design features; determine value of proposition and opportunity; accurately estimate costs of materials and labor components to implement a design solution; generate a thorough and accurate technical/commercial sales proposal; and most important is able to effectively communicate all of the above to bridge the gap between operations, marketing, sales, contractors, and ultimately our customers.
The core centrifugal compressor fleet responsibility of this particular role includes the following makes: Cooper/Rolls‑Royce, DeLaval, other Original Equipment Manufacturers (oOEM), and select Ingersoll-Rand machines. Additional legacy machinery nameplates may be worked on a case-by-case basis as part of a load-sharing program.
Specific Job Functions
· Work safely following all corporate / local procedures and timely completion of all required safety training.
· Maintain good records.
· Follow all processes and obtain necessary approvals.
· Collaborate and iterate with Sales; and subject matter experts from Engineering, Factory, and Vendors; and other team members, in order to effectively define project details and requirements prior to Order.
· Perform front-end technical evaluations, perform basic calculations, and conduct preliminary design/proposal review meetings to mitigate technical risk on revamp/upgrade opportunities.
· Review Client data and perform technical review to investigate if sufficient details are available to develop a revamp/upgrade solution and to evaluate existing machinery reliability concerns from a design perspective.
o Perform technical data integrity checks:
§ Develop and review aerodynamic solutions (SmartPerf, CES GUI, and Pipeliner files)
§ Check for application of proper correction factors
§ Check mechanical fit / stage spacing requirements
§ Review for best method of manufacture
§ Check for proper material selection
· Develop Aerodynamic and Mechanical Revamp/Upgrade Options to address Client needs/concerns while using findings of technical evaluations to generate good Client value selling proposition statements to generate business.
· Develop cost model and schedule for proposed solution (hardware, labor, engineering, buy-out, risk, travel, and commercial instrument costs).
· Develop clear technical/commercial proposals and present data to customers (internal, and external as required) to capture profitable business for the company.
o Clear and concise problem statement
o Summary of equipment history
o Summary of offering and value proposition
o Payback analysis (value calculations, as relevant)
o Detailed scope of supply
o Performance & mechanical details
o Execution logistics plan
o Commercial details: price, delivery, terms and conditions of sale, exclusions
· Facilitate order entry and commercial review of Client Purchase Agreement and act as interface between Sales and the Factory
· Lead Internal Project Kick-Off Meetings (and external as required)
· To support proposal generation, the following are required:
o Follow the inquiry/application process
o Effectively manage own time to meet deadlines
o Perform basic aerodynamic performance calculations
o Identify centrifugal compressor product features
o Develop revamp solutions, initiate peer review, and write commercial/technical proposals
o Effectively communicate (make use of correct tools at correct time, e.g. phone, e-mail, SMS, Circuit, etc…)
· Develop and maintain electronic tools to assist other Application Engineers
· Other miscellaneous duties to support the technical marketing and sales team
· Bachelors' degree in Engineering
· At least 5 years progressive engineering experience is required
· Working foundational knowledge of these subjects is required: compressor thermodynamic performance, rotordynamics, strength-of-materials, materials-of-construction selection, machinery design, and compressor aerodynamic design.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills
· Possess and demonstrate a high degree of tact and professionalism along with an appropriate level of tenacity
· Good organizational and time management skills
· Solid computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power-Point) and basic 2D CAD
· Work collaboratively and individually with the same enthusiasm and intensity
· Travel (estimated 10%) in order to provide support technically to sales and client to help close potential opportunities.
· Ability to listen to customer needs, develop complex solutions and sell the benefits to the client.
· Experience working for a major rotating equipment supplier is preferred.
· Working knowledge and understanding of Dresser-Rand's products and services
· Commercial background in selling, costing, and proposal development is a plus
· Good foundation in drive train equipment such as steam turbines, motors, gears and gas turbines as well any supporting auxiliary systems is a plus
· Experience writing technical/commercial proposals is preferred