Senior IoT Solution Architect - Building Technologies - Austin, TX
Business Unit: Region Americas
Requisition Number: 226609
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 50%
For more information, please visit:
In the era of digitalization, zero downtime is the expectation. One way companies can minimize the risk of unplanned downtime is analyzing Internet of Things (IoT) data from a wide variety of assets to quickly identify problems before they occur. As such, we are looking for an IoT leader who can architect end-to-end solutions for our customers.
We are seeking an experienced Sr. IoT Solution Architect to ensure customer success in building and launching IoT solutions for Siemens Building Technologies. This person will be a key member of our team designing solutions from a technical and business perspective and driving the go-forward strategy. The candidate will have in-depth knowledge around framing, designing, and executing solutions for challenging business problems. The ideal candidate will be able to educate customers on the value proposition, and participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment. This person will also author or otherwise contribute to internal and external publications such as whitepapers and share best-practice knowledge amongst the community.
This is an exciting opportunity to define and shape the industry bringing new types of IoT, Edge, and AI solutions to market.
- Demonstrate thought leadership in IOT, Edge computing and digital transformation across multiple channels and become a trusted advisor to decision makers for the growth of product design, quality, and adoption
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Co-Author Reference architectures, Whitepapers, and blogs
- Aptitude for hands on development and execution
- Serve as a technical focal point for our MindSphere cloud-based open IoT operating system
The position requires someone who understands how most technology works around automation, fire, security, and internet of things. This person shall be able to perform the following tasks:
- Research- Identify what technology is trending around automation, fire, security, networking, IOT, cloud computing etc.
- Evaluate- Identify all possible options of integrating products/solutions to Siemens Ecosystem.
- Technical Sales Expert- This person shall be able to work closely with sales to develop customer proposals. This person shall act as the technical expert responsible for estimating time and labor to develop solutions. The person shall be able to summarize research and testing results and be comfortable offering a technology recommendation to the customer. In cases where there are multiple technology options, this person shall be able to present a good, better, and best option to the customer.
- 3rd Party Partnerships- During the technology research phase, 3rd party solution integrations will arise and this person shall be responsible to document custom integration requests and manage the relationship between the 3rd party partner and Siemens.
- Meetings- This person will be required to attend all project meetings that have technical items on the agenda. This person will have to travel to project locations to attend meeting as requested by the customer.
- Test- Test various prototypes and commercial solutions and map to various customer use cases. Provide feedback to the development team for recommended features and improvements. This person shall be able to manage and maintain a lab environment for testing.
- Document- This person shall be able to design and create data driven use cases. This person shall also be comfortable documenting all research and test results in an organized manner that can be shared with field branches. This person shall be responsible for developing technology specifications around products/solutions that have been evaluated and tested.
- Present- This person shall be able to summarize research and testing results and be comfortable offering a technology recommendation. In cases where there are multiple technology options, this person shall be able to present a good, better, and best option.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Relevant engineering degree(s) with a solid understanding of computer science
- 6+ years of successful experience in IT or IoT experience
- Minimum of 3 years of combined Architect level responsibilities, e.g. SaaS Architect, DevOps/ Deployment Architect or Engineer, Professional Services (Implementation) Architect, Software Solution Architect
- Strong (and recent) experience architecting or designing a highly scalable/available applications, services, or platforms. Experience with IoT platforms is especially valued
- Direct experience deploying services connected and on public cloud platforms like, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.
- Experience deploying technologies related to Big Data platforms and visualization solutions
- Anticipated travel 50%
- Self-motivated individual - internally driven
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must have great communication skills
- Must have experience evaluating APIs and designing solutions based on available API economy
- Must have experience with Cloud Hosted Environments
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- Experience with Virtual Machine Environments
- Experience with Website Development
- Experience with Swagger API Framework
- Experience with SSL certificates
- Experience with mobile app development (Apple iOS and Google Android)
- Experience with Building Automation protocols like BACnet, Modbus, OPC, etc.
- Experience with Home Automation
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.