J-1 International Intern - Automated Speech Recognition Verification
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 226851
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: No
J-1 International Intern – Automated Speech Recognition Verification
Are you interested in Automated Speech Recognition technology?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group located in Princeton, NJ, for a 3 – 9 month internship! Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research. An internship with Siemens Corporate Technology is a great opportunity for international students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment in the US.
You will have the opportunity to work with other members of our group to develop approaches to demonstrate the quality of an Automated Speech Recognition (ASR) system based on Neural Networks.
Our Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities?
- Extend, re-use, re-implement an Automated Speech Recognition based on Neural Networks (e.g., DeepSpeech, Kaldi)
- Work with other members of our group to define metrics and approaches to evaluate the performance of the solution, both through evaluation of existing literature and novel ideas
- Work with other members of our group to prepare testing infrastructure and datasets to perform ASR quality evaluations
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- A senior undergrad student in Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics, who plan on going into their Master's Program by the fall semester. A current student in their Master's or PhD program
- Strong development skills (proven through participation in medium to large scale industrial or research projects)
- At least one year of experience in training and debugging Machine Learning models based on Neural Networks (especially CNNs and RNNs)
- At least three months of experience in the domain of Automated Speech Recognition
- Basic understanding of verification and testing approaches
- At least one year of experience in Python required
- Outstanding collaboration, interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English a must
- Ability to comprehend unfamiliar and complex user scenarios and products
- Team player who can also be independent, prioritize work and thrives in a fast-paced dynamic environment
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
Please note: This posting is for J-1 International Intern candidates only as part of the Exchange Visitor Program. Accepted interns will be required to apply for J-1 visa sponsorship through our provider. You will need to provide evidence of your enrollment or graduation and will be responsible for a portion of visa fees including health insurance. If you are currently enrolled in a university in the United States and are interested in an internship with Siemens USA, please view and apply to our other internship opportunities