Senior Mechanical Engineer - Electric Motors
Business Unit: Large Drives
Requisition Number: 227314
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Norwood
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Process Industries and Drives Division helps manufacturers measurably increase productivity and improve time-to-market with our innovative, integrated technology and services. We support our customers in continuously improving the reliability, safety, and efficiency of products, processes and plants.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
· Operational excellence in handling all post-delivery warranty, field issues, and technical service activities for ANEMA motors manufactured in the Norwood facility.
· Position will report to the Manager of Customer and Technical Services for AboveNEMA motors in the PD LD AP business unit.
- Provides high level technical support and Engineering consultation for customer service cases as required. Support would include (but is not limited to) root cause analysis of stator failures, bearing failures, mechanical failures of rotor components, high vibration and excessive noise.
- Provides troubleshooting direction to field service representatives and customers with no direct oversight.
- Professional communication to customers and sales force to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction, and ensures a direct line of communication between the customer and the Engineering experts as required.
- Prioritizes multiple urgent issues to manage customer expectations.
- Provides high level troubleshooting field support as required, utilizing internal and external consultants as needed (Travel may be required).
- Acts as a project manager for some troubleshooting and repair efforts when components are returned to the factory (coordination with various manufacturing departments to ensure promised timelines are met).
- Identifies recurring problems and prioritizes action plans based on impact to the business. Utilizes complex problem solving methodologies (e.g., 8D) to determine root cause and to identify areas of improvement in product design, manufacturing processes, production, supplier quality, etc.
- Develops Quality containment roadmap based on the above findings and completes the communication loop back to the corresponding cross functional departments.
- Works with Quality to create containment plans as necessary and drive the implementation of corrective actions within the responsible groups (e.g., Engineering, Production, etc.)
- Coordination of internal Customer Quality engineers, product specialists and external support to resolve complex customer complaints
- Supports the warranty team to develop the most cost efficient method to correct reported deviations.
- Continuously enhances or improves existing policies, products, and methods to streamline and modernize warranty function
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline
- Minimum of 5+ years successful experience in Manufacturing, Product Engineering, or Quality
- 10-15% travel required
- Basic knowledge of root cause of failure analysis and quality containment methods. Must possess good customer relationship skills and be able to provide clear, direct, concise communication as required. Ability to lead and organize small groups of technical experts and provide direction as needed. Demonstrates understanding and application of management approaches for work direction, motivation, performance management, and disciplinary action.
- Preferred Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Preferred technical experience in electric motor manufacturing or large rotating equipment.
- Preferred knowledge of large electrical motor design and troubleshooting.