Product Engineer - Variable Frequency Drives
Business Unit: Large Drives
Requisition Number: 227429
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-New Kensington
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Process Industries and Drives Division helps manufacturers measurably increase productivity and improve time-to-market with our innovative, integrated technology and services. We support our customers in continuously improving the reliability, safety, and efficiency of products, processes and plants.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
As a critical member of the LD-P low voltage drives team, this position would execute the low voltage enclosed drive product development for drive voltages of 460 to 690Vac and for powers that range from 1HP to 1200HP. This position would include the product engineering and engineering support through all phases of the product development and manufacturing in line with the business objectives and growth strategies. Candidate must be knowledgeable of Electrical Engineering design and principles related to control and 3-phase power conversion and Drive applications.
· Design Variable Speed Drive Enclosed Products using new released components taking into account marketing and design specifications for use in the Nema Market. This includes design specifications, creation and maintenance of detailed electrical schematics, Bill of Materials (BOM) and drawings necessary for manufacturing of the product. This also includes designing and testing to be able to meet UL, Nema, IEEE519 and NEC requirements.
· Product maintenance of existing products such as updating a cabinet design to replace an internal part that has become obsolete or design to cost tasks to reduce enclosed drive overall costs. This would mean updating drawings, updating BOM and updating the configurators which generate drawings and BOMs.
· Support functions to support product issues including:
o Project Engineering Team support
§ (e.g. support any custom designs needed for specific projects)
o Manufacturing Team support
§ (e.g. support issues with the production of the enclosed drive products)
o On site customers and service personnel support
§ (e.g. support field problems that may be product related)
o Product managers and business development support
§ (e.g. support the production of documentation to sell and promote the enclosed drive products.)
o Headquarter Research and Development support
§ (e.g. support/direct the R&D teams to meet the Nema market requirements)
· Work with Nema, NEC, and UL to become an expert in the different codes and standards. In addition to consulting with the different standards organization, this position should try to participate with the different organizations to help define future changes to the codes and standards.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
BS Electrical Engineering or equivalent
· 7+ years’ experience in the design of electrical systems
· 5 years’ experience in design and application of AC drive systems
· Understanding of Low Voltage Variable Speed Drives specifically a working knowledge of low voltage drive systems (power electronics, cooling, power circuits and control circuits).
· Apply expertise and knowledge of AC drive as related to harmonic mitigation.
· Occasional travel to Headquarters in Germany and other Siemens facilities
· Prior experience in interfacing with manufacturing facility
· Experience in selecting and applying low voltage control components/products
· Experience in applying magnetic circuits
· Knowledge of industry standards, such as UL/NEC/IEC/IEEE
· Interpretation of drawings and specifications (US and IEC style drawings)
· Experience with AutoCad and MS Windows Office products
· Organization and time management skills
· Verbal and written communication skills
· Self-starter and detailed oriented, quick learner
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
· Advanced degree, MS, with focus on power electronics
· Direct Industrial experience with power electronics, LV VFD (AC/DC), and electrical machinery
· Drives experience (preferable Siemens Sinamics products)
· Understanding of Variable Frequency Drives and their application
· Design for manufacturing, Maintenance, and installation.
· Product Lifecycle Management
· Basic knowledge of switchgear and MCC
· Knowledge of AC/DC machines
· SAP/Teamcenter knowledge
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.