Senior Scientist, Applications
Business Unit: Strategy & Innovation
Requisition Number: 227469
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineers
- Develop, implement and oversee a rapidly expanding range of biospecimens applications, including extraction, sample handling, qualification and quantification with variety of molecular assays using both manual techniques and a number of automation platforms and equipment.
- Work with other R&D staff to optimize and scale nucleic acid extraction methods from a wide range of starting materials, including liquid and solid biospecimens.
- Utilize molecular biology expertise to develop and implement new protocols, troubleshoot and optimize exiting protocols, with an eye toward quality, throughput, automation feasibility, and process consistency.
- Design, plan and execute experiments in support of new product development.
- Critically analyze complex data using knowledge of the scientific field, interprets and integrate experimental results with project objectives.
- Responsible for technical leadership of reagents development
- Inform on clear product development timelines and prioritize efforts to deliver on commitments
- Cross Train staff in areas of expertise
- Perform statistical analysis and DOE methods.
- Contribute innovative ideas for new products and intellectual property.
- Collaborate with peers and cross functional teams.
- Write technical and business communications including papers and posters.
- Give effective internal and external presentations
- Develop procedures and documentation for manufacturing and testing of new and existing products.
- Interact cross-functionally to define products, transfer new designs to manufacturing, and ensure on-time regulatory submissions
- Contribute in R&D evaluation of new license and co-development opportunities
- Experience with various techniques for sample extraction, processing, subsampling, and generation of analytical data sets
- Demonstrated success with developing methods to purify and characterize nucleic acids from blood products, tissue, swabs and other esoteric sample types
- Expertise in operation and use of a wide array of analytical instrumentation
- Experience with nucleic acid extraction from complex biological matrices
- Experience with biomolecular interaction based method development
- Hands on expertise and in-depth technical knowledge with current biomolecular interaction instrumentation, software and methods
- Experience with Design Control documentation
- Strong organizational skills, orientation to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Critical thinking, highly self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and resources
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and have strong oral and written communication abilities to facilitate communication with and support of cross-functional collaborations across diverse research programs
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
- Authorization to work in the United States indefinitely without restriction or sponsorship
Familiarly with Liquid handling Robotics (Hamilton MICROLAB STAR use, maintenance, method development) and Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Knowledge in agarose gel electrophoresis, Nucleic Acid Purification, Nucleic Acid quantification and Qualification, DNA sequencing with MiSeq or IonTorrent, and sequence analysis.
Experience with developing new methods for automation equipment
Data analysis using JMP software
Experience with development within regulated environments to support development of IVD –based clinical assays and instruments are highly desirable.
Familiarity with the process of obtaining CE-IVD and/or FDA clearance/approval of In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) products, preferably in molecular diagnostics
- Proven ability to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot versatile analytical instrumentation to maintain high standards of performance
- In-depth expertise in mass spectrometry especially in relation to characterization of small molecules