Sales Estimator - Fire Solutions -Mt Prospect, IL
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 227542
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Mt. Prospect
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: No
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/building-technologies.htm
The Fire Solutions Sales Estimator reports to the Fire Solutions Sales Manager in Mount Prospect, Illinois to supports the growth and sales productivity of the Sales Team covering the Chicagoland area. In this role, this individual will primarily focus on estimating, pricing, generating proposals, and the booking of projects less than $50,000 which will ultimately drive growth of the service business.
· Completes sales estimates for sales team including project take-offs, specification interpretation, and associated activities.
· Prepares cost estimates and price quotations on new work and coordinates the preparation of cost estimates on project continuations.
· Collects information from other functions, vendors, and subcontractors to complete sales quotations as needed.
· Attends job meetings and site walk-throughs to gain deeper project and customer knowledge.
· Assists sales team(s) in configuring systems including constructing riser diagrams.
· Leads, coordinates, and assumes responsibility for the timely generation and documentation of estimates and quotes utilized in the preparation of proposals for fire solutions and services.
· Obtains quotes from outside vendors for ancillary products and services.
· Ensures timely response to sales, allowing for proposal preparation, workability, system operation, cost, and completeness of package given to sales.
· Activities will include bid project take-offs, interpretation of specifications, development of bill of materials (BOM), and other activities.
· May attend pre-bid meetings and site walk-throughs to develop deeper customer and project understanding.
· Completes research activities on Dodge On-Line and informs sales team(s) to promote understanding of project scopes, phases, and timing.
· Works with customers and employees to answer technical and pricing questions, preparation of technical quotes, some development and maintenance of technical documentation, customer expediting, and order entry.
· Maintains complete files for all equipment used to generate quotes and assists in turnover process when quotes become an order.
· Assists Sales employees with site checks to gather required information needed for quotes and/or Sales presentations.
· Completes all record keeping entries and documentation on quotes within sales estimating tools.
· Ensures accurate data movement into the SAP system and completes any required adjustments.
· Assists with ongoing maintenance of Sales Estimating tools and SAP as needed.
· Uses AutoCAD to build riser diagrams.
· Coordinates wiring requirements with subcontractors on turnkey projects.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
· Required education: High School diploma, state-accredited GED, or state-recognized high school placement exam.
· Required experience: Demonstrable ability to comprehend, explain, and estimate labor and materials associated with the type of electrical infrastructure required for fire alarm systems. This understanding could come from working other related roles in the fire alarm industry, or even from performing other estimator roles from other segments of the electrical industry.
· Required travel: 5%
· Other Requirements:
o Demonstrable experience to perform quoting and estimating functions.
o Requires technical and financial expertise with an aptitude to learn and competently use company estimating tools as well as gain an understanding of value engineering, related contractual concepts, and financial acumen.
o Proficient written and verbal communication in English.
o Must be able to work in the U.S. without the current or future need for work sponsorship.
· Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
· Preferred education: Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering or technical field to compliment the type of estimating work required for this role.
· Preferred experience: Three to five years of designing fire alarm systems.
· Other Preferences:
o Local connections with Chicagoland construction contractors.
o Knowledge of Siemens fire products.