Manufacturing Engineer - Thermal Spray Coatings
Business Unit: Power and Gas
Requisition Number: 227573
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Rural Hall
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens is the leading service partner for ensuring high reliability and optimal performance of rotating power equipment within the utility, oil & gas, and industrial processing industries worldwide – as well as for wind turbines. Siemens’ extensive national network of service technicians is able to quickly and comprehensively offer expert service to maximize the lifecycle of power generation equipment, helping to ensure reliability and prevent downtime.
For more information, please visit:
Manufacturing Engineer –Thermal Spray Coatings
Rural Hall, NC
The Siemens Winston Service Center is seeking an experienced and hands-on Coating Application Engineer. A successful candidate in this position will be responsible for industrializing thermal spray application processes for engine run and new land based power generation turbine components. The position also provides on-going shop floor support of coating application and related processes within Siemens Energy Gas Turbine Service Division.
Primary responsibilities will include:
• Development and qualification of coating processes for gas turbine blades, vanes and other components by means of high-velocity-oxygen-fuel spraying (HVOF) and plasma spraying (APS)
• In-depth support development and qualification projects (scheduling, design of experiments, experimentation, reporting, documentation) with responsibility for due dates, results and costs associated with your field of activities
• Develop robotic programs for the application of thermal coating systems for Fanuc and ABB robots using Robotmaster. Support legacy Karel, TP, ABB Rapid programs for complex 3-d turbine components
• Work with materials/coatings engineering to develop parameters for HVOF & APS processes used to control the application of MCrAlY, TBC & Hardface materials.
• Understand, troubleshoot, and manage thermal spray guns and supporting systems including F4, Jetcoat, and JP.
• Develop controls based on this data for improving capability of the production process.
• Development of tooling and masking for coating processes
• Collaborate with suppliers and other thermal spray resources to introduce mature technologies for masking of components. Hard, silicone, tape, liquid, gel, etc. Industrialize these techniques to reduce production costs.
• Lead projects through all phases, conception, R&D, qualification, production implementation, and continued production support
• Develop work instructions, procedures, key cards, and related manufacturing repair documentation for coating operations.
• Create and control of qualification and process documentation
• Lead continuous process improvements (analysis, solution finding, implementation) around coating processes and methods
• Analyze production data and results and collaborate with production engineering to optimize process (spray paths, parameters, tooling, tool frames, user frames) so that fixed process control can be implemented and documented as standard work
• Work with production personnel to implement, troubleshoot, and improve thermal spray and associated processes
• Collaborate with management, product engineering, peer engineers, and operators to realize high quality, stable processes. Provide data and documentation for product process qualifications (PPQ), work instructions and manufacturing quality control plans.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Associates degree in mechanical, manufacturing engineering, materials science, or 5+ years relevant and proven manufacturing technician/engineering experience
• 5+ years of experience in manufacturing (preferably in a production coating environment) or in development with focus on coating technology
• Skilled in interpretation of product and manufacturing drawings and specifications that define coating and masking requirements
• Knowledge in thermal coating processes particularly HVOF and APS
• Knowledge in identifying, analyzing and correcting coating process issues such as porosity and thickness control.
• Knowledge in process control for coatings as well as in statistical process analysis and design-of-experiments
• Knowledgeable in programming, online and offline, of Fanuc and ABB Robots using Fanuc Karel, Fanuc TPP, ABB Rapid for thermal coating applications for thermal spray coatings.
• Knowledgeable in metallographic examination of MCrAlY, TBC and hard-face thermal coatings to specification requirements.
• Good knowledge of special processes (i.e. shot peen, abrasive blast, welding,) used in repair/preparation of components for coating is a plus.
• Knowledge in designing component masking equipment and tooling
• Knowledge in developing maintenance activities on coating torches and coating powder feed systems.
• Familiarity with CAD/CAM systems and product data management systems, preferably Siemens NX, Siemens Teamcenter, and RobotMaster
• Working knowledge of MS office (Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
• Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Knowledge and professional experience in project management
• Knowledge and familiarity with off-line programming software usage
• Flexibility in working non-standard shifts as needed