Sr. Manager, Systems Engineering
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 228414
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Other Locations: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 25%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
With 45,000 employees Siemens Healthineers is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technology to the healthcare industry and a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics and healthcare IT. All supported by a comprehensive portfolio of clinical consulting, training, and services available across the globe and tailored to customers’ needs. So that more people can have a life that is longer, richer, and more filled with happiness.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineers
Senior Manager of Systems Engineering (New Product Development)
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Systems Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Senior Manager of Systems Engineering will lead a team of engineers and biochemists, which own and drive the systems integration, design space characterization, and design verification phase activities for all new product development projects.
The Senior Manager of Systems Engineering position is open in Tarrytown, NY and there is the potential to manage team members located and working at our Newark, Delaware and/or Flanders, New Jersey sites. There is an expectation of travel up to 25% to these two other sites.
The position reports to the Head of Systems Engineering within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
· Responsible for the integration, characterization and verification of systems for all new product development projects and activities
· Lead team’s development of systems design concepts to meet clinical chemistry and immunoassays performance requirements
· Oversee, plan, and review: team’s technical output and artifacts, design feasibility and convergence studies, subsystem and system characterization of key design space functionality and performance parameters, and development of test protocols for design verification
· Establish procedures and documentation pertaining to systems integrations, integration builds and engineering prototype configurations, design verification and traceability, design transfer, product risk management and quality of systems engineering deliverables
· Responsible for quality of deliverables to validation, manufacturing and services teams.
· Anticipate potential problems that may impact system performance and drive the development of risk mitigation plans; lead identification of solutions to complex technical issues by root cause analysis procedure and propose design modifications as they pertain to system and assay performance
· Assure team’s compliance to all integration and verification quality procedures and policies of product development
· Manage resources planning and respond in timely manner to changing business priorities with updates in overall systems integration and verification plans
· Be a people leader for a technically-focused team of systems engineers and biochemists and work closely with direct reports to guide their professional growth
· Ensure internal collaboration between the Systems engineering team and all interfacing Design Engineering and Commercial Product Engineering teams is strong
· Embrace strong team-oriented approach and drive a learning mindset
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· B.S in Engineering or Biological Sciences/Biochemistry is required
· 7+ years people leadership and managerial experience of systems engineering team
· Cross-functional team leadership experience
· Appreciation for the FDA regulated medical device industry
· Skilled in systems thinking with a broad range of knowledge and experience in systems requirements, integration, verification and validation
· Strong grasp of engineering fundamentals and its application across hardware and software platforms
· Experience providing direction and technical guidance to a team of engineers and biochemists
· Experienced in aspects of Agile and SCRUM
· Experienced in core competency development of direct reports and talent retention
· Able to maintain an active dialogue regarding performance and career path.
· Clear thinker and influencer
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Desired Education, Experience, and Knowledge/Skills
· Master’s Degree in Engineering
· Experience with thermal control and/or robotics
· People leadership and experience in the medical device industry
· Experienced working within large matrixed organization
· Six Sigma DFSS training
· Certified SCRUM Master