R&D Test Lab / Embedded Systems Engineer (Profinet)
Business Unit: Factory Automation
Requisition Number: 228424
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Johnson City
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthcare and Financial Services.
The Siemens Digital Factory Division offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly integrated hardware, software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide in enhancing the flexibility and efficiency of their manufacturing processes and reducing the time to market of their products.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/digital-factory.htm
"Are you ready to be part of the 4th Industrial Revolution?"
The world of Industrial Communication and Networking is changing rapidly. New technologies emerge and Industrial Ethernet and Information Technology become inseparable. IIOT, INDUSTRIE 4.0, PROFINET, TSN and OPC UA are the buzzwords describing the current developments in this field.
The PROFI Interface Center (PIC) is a Competence Center, Training Center and Test Lab, certified and accredited by the PI (PROFIBUS & PROFINET International) Organization. The PIC serves as the technical source in North America, providing PROFINET expertise and support to the PI community. The PROFI Interface Center in Johnson City, TN (established in 1995), is the only accredited PI Test Lab in North America, one of only 8 Test Laboratories worldwide.
The successful candidate will be responsible for PROFINET Certification Testing, working mainly with 3rd party device manufacturers to help and enable them to get their devices properly designed, developed and certified:
- Certification testing of devices and controllers for PROFINET and related communication technologies.
- Providing general PROFINET technology support and consultancy to vendors, end users and OEM’s, as well as internally.
- Promoting and teaching the supported technologies by writing articles, giving webinars and teaching workshops and training classes.
- Become a proficient PROFINET Certification tester and achieve and maintain accreditation by the PI Organization.
- Primarily responsible to perform Certification Testing for PROFINET products using the test system and manual test procedures.
- Perform tests efficiently and in a timely manner.
- Consult customers/vendors with test-related questions and support their certification efforts.
- Stay up-to-date with PROFINET and related technology developments and test procedures; maintain test system.
- Establish effective work relation with the PI Technical Committee and other PI Test Labs (PI Community, worldwide).
- Provide PROFINET development and integration support for customers mainly via email and phone.
- Technical support for PROFINET related questions on a daily basis for manufacturers, OEMs, end users, etc.
- Attract and motivate 3rd party vendors to build PROFINET devices.
- Develop new and maintain existing tools in firmware/software (Embedded Linux, PC based) and hardware (embedded systems, development kits) to support and improve the PROFINET evaluation and development process for external customers.
- Product Management and support for PROFINET ASICs, development kits, software (stack) and interface cards.
- Establish effective work relation with the Product Management and Support groups in Germany.
- Promotion of PROFINET technology in the North American market place via:
- Development workshops (in-house or on customer site)
- Technical articles (e.g. white papers, technical articles)
- Preparation and presentation of webinars
- Backup teacher for PROFINET classes
- Maintain and improve the PIC website and related media.
- Support PROFINET marketing and promotion activities.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS Electrical Engineering / Computer Engineering or related advanced degree.
- 3-5 years of successful experience in a professional environment in the embedded systems field related to Industrial Communication, preferable PROFINET, including design, implementation and testing of Industrial Automation field devices.
- Programming skills: C, C++
- Familiar with current real-time embedded development platforms including Linux (ARM based) and other real-time operating systems.
- Good understanding of Ethernet communication stacks and common implementation methods.
- Experienced in Ethernet protocol capturing and analysis with Wireshark.
- Being able to read and understand technical specifications (IEC etc).
- Understand and be familiar with Industrial Automation products and systems.
- Experience in writing technical and promotion related documents (i.e. white papers, articles, etc).
- Self-motivated, used to working independently in a very small group.
- Highly organized and structured (lab schedule, test documentation), attention to detail, being able to prioritize and address most-important tasks first.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills:
- Being able to efficiently communicate (written and verbally) highly complex technical issues to customers.
- Confident presenting and teaching technical content to customers (from small to very large groups).
- Excellent problem solving skills, open to change, and motivated to constantly learn new technologies.
- Demonstrates good interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills.
- 20% domestic and international travel
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Advanced degree (MSEE) may be substituted for experience
- Work experience with PLC/PC based configuration and engineering tools in the field of Industrial Automation / Communication (i.e. network configuration, diagnostic tools).
- Experience in designing and conducting technical trainings and other educational products for PROFINET Technology.
- Work experience with testing Industrial Communication protocols (PROFINET, Ethernet/IP, OPC UA).