Technical Sales Support Prof.
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 228499
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens Process Industries & Drives helps customers increase productivity, safety, reliability, efficiency and time-to-market for plants and processes with innovative, integrated technology across the entire lifecycle. With a deep understanding of individual market segments, Siemens helps customers respond quickly and confidently to new market requirements and challenges, strengthening their competitiveness.
For more information, please visit:
Proposal Specialist for analytical products and solutions across chemical/petrochemical/refining industry applications.
This position supports analytical products and solutions project business by reviewing RFQ/Customer requirements, specifications, project design effort and/or project Bill of Material required for application / solution. The proposal specialist will provide support to sales team throughout the phases of each RFQ assigned. This position will report to the Sales Support Manager within Process Analytics, Sensors & Communication Business Unit / Industry Automation Division.
Proposal Specialist is accountable for the overall project application / solution cost estimate, technical description and communication with sales and account manager of said assigned RFQ’s.
Proposal Specialist is responsible for the complete technical solution provided for all RFQ’s assigned.
Proposal Specialist responsibilities for a typical project include:
- Determine the proper analytical system integration solution for the application – as defined by customer specifications, customer analyzer data sheets, drawing and/or other data provided with said RFQ.
- Evaluate / select equipment to ensure the solution offered meets requirements of the customer specifications.
- Direct support resources in the creation of required documents for RFQ requirements
- Specify the project Bill of Material.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
It is required for the candidate to have a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Physics.
It is required for the candidate to have 10+ years successful experience in a project engineering role – working as a proposal specialist / manager or lead engineer.
It is required for the candidate to have 10+ years experience in selection / specification of equipment and creation of Bill of Materials.
It is required for the candidate to have 10+ years experience working as the lead technical contact for customers on projects assigned.
The engineer must be able to communicate complex design requirements with key customers, the design team, and craftsmen.
Candidate to have working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
It is preferred for the candidate to have 10+ years experience as a lead proposal specialist or engineer for analytical system integration projects.
It is preferred for the candidate to have the following general system design knowledge:
- Experience in projects provided for petrochemical / refinery customers.
- Direct experience in designing modular equipment for customer’s power, signal, communication, piping, and tubing connections.
- Specification of electrical equipment including: panelboards, transformers, circuit breakers, lighting, receptacles, disconnect switches.
- Ability to specify panelboards and size circuit breakers / conductors for each user that is to be powered.
- Working knowledge of relay logic and PLCs for alarm system applications.
- Working knowledge of piping systems including: connection types, component rating, sizing, typical specification requirements.
- Working knowledge of valve types and typical applications for each.
- Understanding of HVAC equipment – operation, sizing, selection.
It is preferred for the candidate to have the following industry specific knowledge:
- Direct the complete design for analyzer system integration projects including: shelters, racks, cabinets, electrical power / signal, HVAC systems, utility piping / tubing, sample conditioning systems, sample probes, and alarm systems (PLCs or Relay Logic).
- Ability to perform calculations: sample lag time, sample pressure drop, sample supply / return line sizing, sample dewpoint (using ChemCAD software), utility piping / tubing line sizing, tubing orifice sizing, valve / regulator Cv sizing, panelboard loading, transformer sizing, circuit breaker sizing, electrical conductor sizing, shelter weight.
- Working knowledge of codes / standards: NEC, IEC, API, NFPA, ISA
- Firm grasp of hazardous area classifications: Class I Division 1, Class I Division 2, ATEX Zone 1, and ATEX Zone 2 electrical areas.
- Experience with NEMA 7 electrical equipment for hazardous areas.
- Knowledge of analyzers including: Gas Chromatographs, UV/IR Continuous Gas Analyzers, Paramagnetic Continuous Gas Analyzers, FTNIR, CEMS, pH & conductivity, TOC, Zirconium Oxide / Catalytic Bead stack analyzers.
- Knowledge of analyzer applications: process, stack O2/Combustible, CEMS, HRVOC, Subpart Ja.
- Working knowledge of signal communications protocol: Modbus, OPC, TCP/IP Ethernet.
- Experience in reading / understanding petrochemical or refinery electrical, instrumentation, mechanical, structural specifications.
- Experience in reviewing analytical system integration quotations against a set of customer specifications and analyzer data sheets.
- Project experience in the field at a petrochemical or refinery site.
- Experience in mentoring new engineering / design personnel.
- Knowledge of software including: AutoCAD, SAP, ChemCAD, Visual Basic is a plus.