Lead Instrumentation & Control Engineer - Large Variable Frequency Drive Applications
Business Unit: Large Drives
Requisition Number: 228543
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-New Kensington
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthcare and Financial Services.
The Siemens Digital Factory Division offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly integrated hardware, software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide in enhancing the flexibility and efficiency of their manufacturing processes and reducing the time to market of their products.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/digital-factory.htm
Are you ready to be the Lead Instrumentation & Control Engineer for Large Variable Frequency Drive Applications?
· Primary Role is to be the lead developer of PLC applications for VFD internal and external (customer process)
· Ultimate responsibility for all product offerings that include PLC solutions, including external instrumentation & HMIs
· Includes Ownership of existing PLC solutions
· Life cycle ownership from conceptual design though end of life of PLC-based solutions for VFD applications including cooling system controllers, switchgear control/sequencing, co-ordination of parallel drives, and custom solutions per customer requirements
Includes selection/design of peripheral instrumentation & devices
· Develop HMIs for all PLC solutions using internal and/or industry standard HMI design packages
· Able to convert high level specifications into robust solutions (e.g. PID control for cooling systems)
· Develop complete documentation packages including engineering drawings, test procedures, installation/setup instructions and operator manuals.
· Successfully integrate PLC solutions into existing VFD or customer communication networks
· Complex troubleshooting of field problems and system issues with PLC/VFD implementation and/or application including analysis of drawings, VFD configuration, and data logs
· Perform Development of aftermarket engineering projects for upgrades and/or enhancements of Medium Voltage Variable Frequency Drives requiring PLC solutions
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Education: BS in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology or related discipline required.
· Minimum 8 years Hands-on experience developing and maintaining PLC solutions for internal & external VFD applications
• Working knowledge of Siemens Step 7 & TIA Portal software and Siemens PLCs strongly desired
· Meticulous attention to details is required, especially for handling of system disruptions
· Familiar with multiple industrial communication networks
• Working knowledge of Profibus, Ethernet/IP, & Ethernet Modbus networks required
· Working knowledge of industrial controls in an engineering role for a large electrical equipment manufacturer or integrator.
· Structured development of solutions is required in adherence with established processes and industry standards
· Working Knowledge of variable frequency Motor drives and their applications.
· Ability to read schematics and interpret customer specifications.
· Strong organization and excellent time management skills.
· Demonstrated adherence with established engineering policies, procedures, and industry practices.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Travel to customer sites to interface directly with customers and/or Siemens Service personnel
• Typically <15% per year, including international
• Short notice travel typically 1 time per year
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
Interface with other Engineering personnel and experts to resolve drive/system performance issues
Provide advanced technical support to MV VFD Customer Service business