Staff Product Engineer
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 228649
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Other Locations: United States-New Jersey-Flanders
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
The Staff Mechanical Engineer will provide high quality engineering expertise for Mechatronics and Structures Engineering design and development projects within Lab Diagnostics (LD), Global Engineering Organization (GEO) for Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics, Inc. Candidate will: drive development of mechatronics and automated systems; champion new and improving products; drive creation of designs with robustness, performance, and cost as a KPI’s; manage product lifecycle through our Siemens CRB process; lead in troubleshooting and determining root cause for issues found in verification; drive the set based design process; conceptualize and design solutions for specific engineering challenges; approve detailed drawings utilizing GD&T and GEO best practices; adopt and execute an ownership culture.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Mechanical Engineering and 7+ years of experience in Mechatronics and structure related Engineering activities. Candidate must demonstrate expertise in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering field, advanced development methodologies, product life cycle management (PLM) tools practices, and procedures. This Staff Engineer role will work with Manufacturing, Procurement, Suppliers, Service, and Quality to come up with novel and inventive solutions for cost effective mechanical subsystems and assemblies.
Essential Job Functions
The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for quality, timeliness and costs-effectiveness of Mechatronics Engineering designs for development projects within LD GEO.
- Drive Engineering excellence by executing and participating in Siemens Center of Excellence activities and Design to Shelf initiatives (DFSS, Set Based Design, Logical Decision making, Creating Knowledge briefs, etc…).
- Drives cross-functional teams in a collaborative environment
- Actively participates in identification of potential technical problems and provides effective solutions by application of concepts, techniques, knowledge, and processes; display original thinking in applying principles, theories, and concepts on a wide range of problems within the field of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering.
- Works closely with Fluidics, Systems, Electrical, Controls, Structural, Thermal, and Software Applications Engineers as well as with Reliability, Test, Manufacturing, and Service Engineers on full integration of Mechatronics Engineering into product development.
- Responsible for timely and high quality documentation of design progress, preparation and execution of technical reviews.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement efforts for the Mechatronics Engineering function, contributes to development and administration of Process, Practice and Procedures (PPPs) in the area of Mechatronics Engineering.
- Applies best practice and appropriate tool usage in actual daily practice.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing.
- Appropriately document designs, activities, and knowledge growth to meet project, organization, and regulatory needs.
- Works with external vendors in close cooperation with LD supply chain management to develop quality, manufacturable, testable, and lowest cost electro-mechanical designs.
- Travels as required by cross-site product development.
- Perform detailed engineering analysis of new and existing designs to verify robustness and design intent.
- Participates, initiates, and leads drafting and design reviews with a cross functional team.
- Perform Work Package Team Lead activities by championing and driving design changes from inception through release, managing resources and schedule, and ensuring robust design through diligent engineering oversight.
- Demonstrated understanding of structural, thermal, and motion control systems (mechatronics).
- Must have experience with fundamentals of fluid dynamics in laboratory-scale applications
- 7-10 years of industry experience in product design, development, and manufacturing with technical background in mechanical assemblies that are related to motion control and structures
- Ability to perform thermal analysis on complex sub-systems
- Experience working with suppliers of sheet metal, machined, and molded mechanical parts to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- 2-5 years working in an FDA-regulated environment
- Must have proficiency in 3D CAD design software (NX preferred).
- Must have proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…)
- Demonstrated understanding of mechanical design and product development for robust performance with minimized cost and high manufacturability.
- Mechatronic and mechanical analysis for new product development. Working knowledge of analytical methods as well as practical benefits and limitations of state of the art FEA and motion simulation tools (e.g., NX Motion, ANSYS)
- Ability to lead Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering design projects with focus on reliability and cost–effectiveness
- Ability to critically evaluate existing Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering design and propose performance improvements.
- Great oral and written presentation skills. The ability to communicate work progress in a manner leading to establishment of credibility with senior leadership.
- Experience designing medical devices or automation equipment is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with design of medical Lab Diagnostics instruments is a big plus
- Experience of working in a large global corporate matrix environment is a plus.
- Experience of working in multi-discipline teams.
- Working knowledge of Product Development Process and Design Control.
- Working knowledge of Set Based Design and other lean development techniques is highly desirable.
- Working understanding of DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs or A3’s) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
- Experience of working with vendors to fabricate prototype and production parts and tooling.
- Demonstrated fluency in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Knowledge of advanced manufacturing process, e.g., injection molding, casting, sheet metal, 3D printing, rapid prototyping, etc… is preferred
- Fluency in use of SAP document control system is a plus
- Experience spanning all phases of product development from concept creation through commercialization
- Ability to create statistically sound test cases for product or feature performance demonstration and verification.
- Experience selecting, validating, and employing OEM components in a mechanical design
- Ability to apply system-level thinking in the design process including software, sequencing, and system timing.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 7+ years of demonstrated practical success in Mechatronics Engineering / R&D.
- Experience in product development for Medical/Pharmaceutical/Aerospace/Automotive industry.
- Relevant Certifications such as Professional Engineer license are a plus.
- Active participation in Professional Engineering societies (ASME, ASHRAE, etc.) is a plus.