Mechanical Design Engineer
Business Unit: Medium Voltage & Systems
Requisition Number: 228868
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Wendell
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
- The objective of the MV AIS (Medium Voltage Air Insulted Switchgear) Mechanical Engineer is to manage the technical expectations of the project amongst the stake holders involved. This consists in ensuring that the end result of the switchgear or motor control center design is in accordance to the contract specifications, functionality requirements, safety requirements and the applicable technical regulations.
- Understanding of customer requirements that have impact in the mechanical configuration of the switchgear.
- Confirm that the requirements listed by the Project Engineer and the Customer are included in the agreed scope of supply.
- Review the pre-determined configuration generated during the approval and pre-engineering stages of the project. Identify which mechanical configurations are needed for the project.
- Manage the list of materials and mechanical assemblies needed to fulfill the technical requirements of the project. Create Bills of Materials, develop new assemblies, validate functionality and release the part/assemblies to production.
- Generate “Design To Order” tasks for other members of the team to develop the mechanical configurations that are needed for the project, but missing from the existing design library.
- Execute “Design To Order” tasks from other members of the team for their respective projects. This will include the development of new mechanical designs required for a respective project.
- Complete “Product Support” tasks based on identified Non-Conformances and design errors. This will include the update and correction of existing assemblies that have been found defective during assembly or commissioning operations.
- Provide support and feedback as needed to the Siemens MV AIS R&D team based on effectiveness of the design library and market trends where gaps in our technical offer have been identified.
- Understand the rules and logic behind our configuration tools (NX Tools). This includes the troubleshooting of rules and logic errors, as well as the development of new rules and logic as required for new projects. Additionally, the MV AIS Mechanical Engineer corrects and fixes any identified errors in the rules and logic of our configuration tools (NX Tools) and ERP tools (SAP).
- (Mandatory) BS in Engineering (prefer Mechanical).
- (Mandatory) Knowledge of 3D engineering tools (Teamcenter, Solid Edge, Solidworks, Unigraphics/NX). NX is preferred.
- (Mandatory) At least 1 year experience in 3D modeling of parts and assemblies.
- (Preferred) Experience in design and development of Medium Voltage Switchgear and/or Low Voltage Motor Controllers.
- (Preferred) Experience with MRP (Material Requirements Planning) solutions (SAP, Oracle).
- (Preferred) Experience with programming languages (visual basic, java)
- (Preferred) Experience with cloud based CRM (Customer Relationship Management) solutions (Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics).
- 10% travel required.