Research Scientist - Signal Processing, Robotics and Edge Analytics
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 228888
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 10%
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
As products, production systems, buildings and infrastructure become more complex, integrated and interactive, intelligent automation and control components are demanded that manage complexity and uncertainty, understand their environment, adapt their behavior, and often act autonomously. Based on deep experience in automatic feedback control, signal processing, robotics, lifecycle engineering, data analytics, mathematics and simulation, the Technology Field Future of Automation (FOA) provides methods and software modules to simulate, optimize, operate and control systems and processes. Its experts are located in Princeton, Munich, Bangalore & Beijing to best serve its customers.
Our signal processing research pushes the limits for novel sensor technologies and edge devices e.g., sensor networks, non-contact process monitoring, condition based monitoring, mapping of temperature distributions in real time and in challenging, noisy conditions such as within a power generating gas turbine. We support our customers from the early phase of identifying opportunities to designing algorithms, building prototypes for custom solutions and validating them in the field. Our broad customer base enables the opportunity to be part of projects in the fields of power generation, renewables, service, mobility, plant automation, infrastructure etc., making for an exciting and challenging environment.
What are my responsibilities?
• Contribute to research projects to develop novel technologies.
• Advance the state-of-the-art, including generating patents and publications in top journals and conferences.
• Apply our technology to real-world problems in industry.
• Fast prototyping, feasibility studies, specification and implementation of product components.
• Working with customers to understand algorithm requirements and deliver solutions.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
• Ph. D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics required.
• 2+ years of work experience (either through internships or Research Assistant positions with the universities).
• Strong theoretical and practical background in Signal Processing, Physics and Optimization required.
• Graduate research, fellowship or internship experience in signal processing in acoustics, condition based monitoring and will have a basic understanding of gas turbine functions.
• Proven ability to develop new research ideas as demonstrated by a strong publication record and early developments to the level of a working system prototype.
• Good knowledge of tools and languages typically used to support simulation (incl. C/C++, Matlab, Simulink, etc.)
• Background in machine learning and python
• Development experience on edge devices such as Arduinos is a plus.
• Knowledge of the SIMATIC automation programming environment and concepts a plus.
• Knowledge of the PLM software (e.g. NX, Tecnomatix) and concept a plus.
• Knowledge or previous involvement writing funding proposals for research grants a plus.
• Real world problem solving and a hands-on, can-do mentality.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English a must.
• Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic team.
• Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#
What else do I need to know?
For more information please refer to our website at http://www.usa.siemens.com/