Project Engineer- Seattle, Washingon
Business Unit: Turnkey Projects & Electrification
Requisition Number: 229003
Primary Location: United States-Washington-Seattle
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/mobility.htm
Responsible for the safe and effective delivery of all on-site ‘survey, construction, installation, test and commissioning activities’ (referred to as ‘Works’ thereafter).
- Functionally reports to the overall Siemens Project Manager
- Maintain a full time presence in the city of Seattle, Washington from initial design to Substantial Completion
- Ensure that all Engineering deliverables are submitted on-time and on-budget
- Ensure that any sub-contracted Engineering design work is awarded and managed in a professional, cost effective manner
- Undertake planning of the on-site works, including documenting
- Carry out Risk Assessments, including documenting
- Provide technical leadership and direction for all on site activities
- Ensure safe on-site working practices and environment
- Ensure accurate monitoring and recording of working hours on site, including travel and start & finish times and effectively manage working hours and fatigue.
- Undertaking baseline surveys to identify environmentally sensitive areas, site/task hazards and recording risk assessments
- Deployment and management of sufficient resources to ensure safe site working during the Works and to ensure the Works minimizes the impact on the environment
- Ensuring all the Works and maintenance operations are conducted in a safe, environmentally friendly and lawful manner
- Ensuring contractors and subcontractors employed during the Works and maintenance tasks comply with Siemens HSQE requirements and procedures and are managed accordingly
- Ensuring all site Works activities are conducted in a safe manner, with specific regard to site sharing or co-ordination of several activities of Works on the same site
- Undertaking site inspections to ensure safe operations, activities and effective Site Management
- The application of any Client rules and regulations to the Works and operations taking place on their site or infrastructure
- Ensure all persons engaged on the site of work are aware of and conversant with the site rules and emergency procedures and plans
- Checking that all plant and equipment required to be inspected, maintained or tested is currently certified and complies with any environmental specifications e.g. noise limits and that site records are maintained
- Anticipating potential emergency incidents, develop appropriate procedures to mitigate any such eventualities, ensure the availability of adequate emergency facilities and competent personnel and co-ordinate safety and emergency actions should they arise during the Works
- Liaising with the Siemens Project Manager and the Siemens HSQE Manager and authorized personnel of the Client for all matters affecting health, safety and the environment associated with the Works
- Informing the Siemens Project Manager and the Siemens HSQE Manager about accidents to personnel or incidents occurring in areas under his/her control and co-operate during subsequent investigations
- Complying with all Client safety related standards and procedures including during any test and commissioning phase
- Ensuring that site EHS related records are kept
- Responsible for ensuring all site activity progress and delays including resources, plant and materials are recorded on daily record sheets (DRS)
- Positively influence Engineering design and construction safety performance and aims for zero accidents
- Support the project commercial process with the Commercial Manager and ensure all Engineering design change requests are processed on time
- Maintain effective communications with all project participants to ensure contract delivery
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analyzing problems and creating innovative solutions
- Flexible approach to work, and ability to prioritize and manage your time effectively
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgments
- Undertake lessons learnt exercises to maintain value
- Willingness to relocate to Seattle, WA
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or Construction Management (minimum)
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working as a Design Engineer / Project Engineer / Technical Project Manager within the Rail Electrification market
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience of AC and / or DC rail electrification schemes, particularly distribution assets
- Experience managing and implementing construction projects, including identifying, maintaining, and/or adjusting the cost, scope, and resources, managing vendors, and overseeing the formal planning, tracking, and reporting of project performance.
- Experience in the construction and maintenance of substation equipment and functionality.
- Must demonstrate ability to build teamwork, effectively resolve conflicts, and foster positive working environment.
- Must demonstrate effective resource and project planning, decision making, results delivery, team building, and the ability to stay current with relevant technology and innovation.
- Must demonstrate strong ethics, influence and negotiation, leadership, interpersonal skills, communication, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- Experience interacting regularly with all levels of management, and presenting information and recommendations.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with contractors, suppliers, regulatory agencies, customers, other departments, and/or other parties as required.
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organizational skills required
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work effectively
- Ability to effectively work as an individual and as a member of a team
- Proven safety management knowledge
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Good communication and inter personal skills and be able to effectively communicate and report at all levels
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of and experience with the following Siemens products is an advantage:
- 8DA10, 8DA11 and 8DA12 Gas-insulated Switchgear (GIS)
- Sitras® TCR thyristor rectifier
- Sitras® REC diode rectifier
- Sitras® DSG DC switchgear
- Sitras® PRO DC micro-processor protection relay
- Sitras® SCD short-circuiting device
- Sitras® SCS station controller
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Visio)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Master of Science (MSc) degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or Construction Management (preferred)
- Project Management qualification
- PM@Siemens certified