Power Systems Engineer - Building Technologies - Los Angeles or Atlanta Metro
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 229778
Primary Location: United States-California-Cypress
Other Locations: United States-Georgia-Norcross
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Professional Engineering License Required
Siemens Building Technologies is looking for a Power Systems Study Engineer for their Power Systems Center of Competence. This person performs applications engineering and analytical studies on MV and LV electrical power distribution systems for industrial, commercial, institutional and government customers in metropolitan area. This person will report to the Service Operations Manager and will have no direct reports.
Principal activity is preparation of short circuit, device evaluation; protective device coordination and arc flash studies. Prior experience performing electrical power systems analysis is required. Preferred candidate will have current P.E. registration, experience using EasyPower product suite and have electrical power systems applications engineering, installation and/or field service background. Some travel is required for field data collection and customer review meetings. Candidate will be responsible for supporting end user, contractor & distributor accounts within the US, Canada, and Latin America.
Computer analysis includes building of electrical one line diagrams utilizing EasyPower, SKM and AutoCAD software, performing short circuit, load flow, arc flash, and voltage drop analysis of customer systems. Candidate will also evaluate analysis and prepare written report on findings. Candidate should have demonstrated aptitude for working successfully on project teams and possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Performs complex installation, testing, upgrades, checkout, startup/commissioning, maintenance, and troubleshooting of
· electronic components in accordance with industry standards.
· Applies knowledge of low and medium voltage switchgear, motor control centers, circuit breakers, panel boards,
· transformers, surge protection devices, relays, power quality meters and battery systems to serve as the subject matter
· expert, on behalf of Siemens, to the customer.
· Instructs customer representatives on the features and safe operation of Siemens equipment.
· Performs emergency troubleshooting of power distribution products and 3rd party equipment.
· Interacts with the customer and project stakeholders tactfully and professionally.
· Leads a team to accomplish the project’s scope of work on schedule
· Provides estimates during the project planning phase. Works with the project manager to make recommendations that
· ensure the success of the project.
· Works safely and promotes a safe work environment for others.
All qualified candidates MUST have the following:
• Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering, MSEE preferred.
• Holds a Professional Engineer License in the USA
• Expertise on Arc Flash and power system studies, including short circuit, protective device coordination, load flow, grounding, harmonic and power quality studies.
• Experience using SKM, EasyPower, or ETAP power system analysis product suites.
• Power systems applications engineering, design, testing and installation supervision background desired.
• Be able to provide hard copies of power system analysis, reports, and calculations completed.
• Broad industry experience is desired - working with LV and MV installations at utilities, industrial plants, commercial and residential facilities.
• Candidate must be open to 20% travel in the US.