Director of Operations - Analytical Products & Solutions-TX
Business Unit: Process Automation
Requisition Number: 229832
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Houston
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 25%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Siemens Process Industries & Drives helps customers increase productivity, safety, reliability, efficiency and time-to-market for plants and processes with innovative, integrated technology across the entire lifecycle. With a deep understanding of individual market segments, Siemens helps customers respond quickly and confidently to new market requirements and challenges, strengthening their competitiveness.
For more information, please visit:
Director of Operations – Analytical Products & Solutions Business Segment
The Director of Operations role will have overall leadership responsibility for the day-to-day operations of the Siemens Analytical Products & Solutions operations organization and plant. The world class facility, located in Houston, Texas, is the global Center of Competency for Siemens Gas Chromatograph and Systems Integration production, responsible for delivering engineered products and solutions in excess of $100M per year.
Multiple functions will report into the Director of Operations including Production, Project Execution, Engineering, Methods Development, Lean Engineering, Materials Planning and Procurement. Other critical organizational interfaces include Sales/Marketing, Logistics, Finance, Product Management, Customer Service, Research & Development, Headquarter and US management, and Human Resources respectively. The position will report directly to the General Manager and will be based in Houston, TX.
The preferred candidate for this Operations Management role will possess a minimum of 10 years of manufacturing operations experience with successful roles in production, supervision, engineering, lean manufacturing, continuous improvement, quality, safety and materials. Additionally, he/she will have strong, demonstrated leadership experience with a successful track record of developing employees and creating bench strength for an organization. Experience working for a matrixed, international organization is also critical, along with a strong technical background and general business acumen.
Responsibilities and Specific Requirements:
- Ensure the safety of the workforce, vendors and customers.
- Compliance with all regulations & circulars per global, division, business unit & local ISO requirements – with respect to Safety, Quality, HR, Legal, and Compliance.
- Achieve excellent customer satisfaction by providing products & services from the factory on-time, and with the highest quality.
- Ensure correct cost position in the factory through:
- optimal inventory turns
- minimal non-conformance costs
- high utilization, efficiency & productivity
- controlling budget & expenses/spending
- optimum factory and resource loading to meet varying demand and capacity requirements
- excellent employee relations
- Assess the strength and opportunities of the day-to-day operations, and be able to develop appropriate strategies and implement plans to transform into a World Class Operation.
- Demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset with the ability to solve complex problems.
- Deliver results & quality orientation, along with being a champion for employee involvement, communications, and change management advocacy.
- Build a strong team in Operations, with good bench-strength and overall employee development.
- Develop, coach, motivate, and empower the Operations Management/Leadership team to make effective, timely decisions with a strong emphasis on accountability.
- Effective verbal, written, and presentation skills required to communicate effectively to shop-floor employees, professionals, customers, vendors and executives.
• Strategic impact on the overall success of business by demonstrating a strategic mindset.
• Oversight responsibility for complex cell based production flow through the manufacturing area based on effective project scheduling and labor utilization.
• Develop and manage departmental budgets and complex business plans.
• Acts as advisor, engaged leader, focusing on troubleshooting and resolving complex problems within multi-departments and/or cross-functional areas.
• Approve organizational structures and supervisory relationships in functional areas
· Demonstrate leadership for process improvement mindset (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma methodologies, Cost, Asset Management, Delivery Reliability and Quality).
• Demonstrate effective oversite of supplier management and accountability.
• Demonstrate excellent understanding of budgeting and business financial planning
• Provide effective leadership skills with involvement in pioneering and implementing new and innovative ideas with demonstrated success in leading change.
• Promote, support, and implement global and business strategic initiatives focusing on innovation, digitalization, and continuous improvement.
• Embrace and promote the Siemens Ownership Culture criteria.
• Effective management approach focusing on leading by example, strong engagement/visibility, transparency, accountability, fairness, approachability, and openness to new ideas and suggestions.
Bachelor’s Degree in Technical or Engineering Field is required.
Advanced degree preferred, but not required.
Knowledge and Experience:
- About 15-% - 20% travel required visiting customers, suppliers, partners, HQ, and other respective management chains.
- SAP, Excel, Access, VSM, RCA, FMEA, and other Lean/Quality Tools
• Demonstrates advanced understanding and application of management approaches for work direction, motivation, and performance management.
• Understanding and experience in Project and Engineered Solutions business/manufacturing and overall Project Management.
• Typically 10+ years of successful experience in a directly related field of Process Automation, or similar, and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above. Process Analytics and Oil & Gas Industry knowledge is preferred, but not required.
Direction of Others:
• Typically manages multiple levels of managers in a multi-site set up.
Key Working Relationships
• Multiple functions, worldwide inter-organizational and external contacts.
· Commensurate with candidate’s experience and overall qualifications