Product Engineer, Sr. (detectors)
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 229982
Primary Location: United States-New York-Tarrytown
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Non Degree Program
Travel Required: 20%
Discipline: Mechanical Engineering
Role: Product Engineer, Sr.
This is a key role within Mechanical Engineering responsible for developing and implementing designs for new mechanical subsystems used in medical devices. Candidate will: support R&D for new and improving products; support in creating designs with robustness, performance, and SPC as a KPI’s; manage product lifecycle through our Siemens CRB process; support in troubleshooting and determining root cause for issues found in verification; participate in the set based design process; conceptualize and design solutions for specific engineering challenges; produce detailed drawings utilizing GD&T and GEO best practices; adopt and execute an ownership culture. This Senior Product Engineer role will work with Manufacturing, Procurement, Suppliers, Service, and Quality to come up with novel and inventive solutions for cost effective mechanical subsystems and assemblies.
· Work with multiple functions to develop quality, manufacturable, testable, and lowest cost electro-mechanical designs.
· Conceptualize and design solutions
· Produce detailed drawings utilizing GD&T and GEO best practices
· Participates in the preparation of semi-complex sketches, design layouts, and other specifications.
· Drive Engineering excellence by executing and participating in Siemens Center of Excellence activities and Design to Shelf initiatives (DFSS, Set Based Design, Logical Decision making, Creating Knowledge briefs, etc…).
· Supports cross-functional teams in a collaborative environment
· Work with Suppliers to address technical issues with designs.
· Drive Engineering changes through the Siemens design change process (CRB).
· Participates in preparing prototypes for testing and provides technical assistance on design feasibility
· Perform detailed engineering analysis of new and existing designs to verify robustness and design intent.
· Participates, initiates, and leads drafting and design reviews with a cross functional team.
· Perform Work Package Team Lead activities by championing and driving design changes from inception through release, managing resources and schedule, and ensuring robust design through diligent engineering oversight.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (master’s degree a plus)
- Must have experience with thermal and motion control systems (mechatronics).
- 5-8 years of industry experience in product design, development, and manufacturing with technical background in mechanical assemblies that are related to motion control and structures
- Ability to perform thermal analysis on complex sub-systems
- Experience working with suppliers of sheet metal, machined, and molded mechanical parts to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues
- 2-5 years working in an FDA-regulated environment a plus
- Must have proficiency in 3D CAD design software (NX preferred).
- Must have proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc…)
- FEA and CFD software experience a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong GD&T skills and ability to perform tolerance stack-ups on complex assemblies.
- Proficiency with ASME Y14.5 standards
- Experience with processes FMEA and DFMA
- Travel: 10-20%