Research & Technology Manager (Artificial Intelligence & Autonomous Systems)
Business Unit: Digital Factory (DF)
Requisition Number: 230031
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthcare and Financial Services.
The Siemens Digital Factory Division offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly integrated hardware, software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide in enhancing the flexibility and efficiency of their manufacturing processes and reducing the time to market of their products.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/digital-factory.htm
DF FA US Research & Technology Manager
(Artificial Intelligence & Autonomous Systems)
This position drives and innovates artificial intelligence and autonomouse systems technologies, common system architecture and product ideas for the future portolio of Siemens Factory Automation. It develops new business models, novel data-driven use cases and attractive business opportunities by inspiratoral leadership, the development of the team and innovation-driven customer interaction. Moreover, the position identifies, hires and develops the appropriate resources to facilitate this stategy. The position embodies a hands-on startup mentality where the technology manager works within the team and contributes agily on technical project aspects. Finally, the position drives standardization and fosters collaborations with top tier universities and startups.
This position leads a new agile DF FA US team and reports to the US head of DF FA with dotted line to DF FA TIP SAT “System Architecture & Technology”.
· Build the team from a technical, business and development perspective, i.e. hire and ensure the required competencies and a start-up mindset.
· Identify business opportunities and value propositions from data analytics and AI-enabled applications & services for both existing and potential new customer groups.
· Manage and implement pilot projects & minimal viable products in cooperation with customers with data analytics and artificial intelligence as a basis for the implementation of scalable data-driven applications and services.
· Evaluate novel technologies towards their fit to the future Siemens Factory Automation Portfolio.
· Drive standardisation, collaborations with top tier universities and startups.
· Support of marketing and communication activities in the US through public presentations, participation in trade fairs, newspaper articles, and publishing of success stories.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Master’s or PhD.in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics required.
· 10+ years of successful experience in a directly related industrial automation field.
· Proven experience as successful manager of small and medium sized teams.
· Strong capabilities in execution (incl. strategic and conceptual thinking) and leadership (incl. strength in inspiring and motivating a team).
· Strong theoretical and practical background in Artificial Intelligence, Autonomous Systems, Signal Processing, Physics and Optimization required.
· Proven innovation mindset.
· Strong entrepreneurial spirit / start-up mindset.
· Personal drive, goal orientation and self-motivation.
· Strong aptitude for customer facing presentations.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English a must.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Knowledge of the SIMATIC portfolio, automation programming environment and concepts.
· Previous experience in management role with Knowledge of the Siemens organization.
· Experience with IT projects, esp. agile development (SCRUM), rapid prototyping, and cloud-based solutions.
· Good knowledge of tools and languages typically used to support simulation (incl. C/C++, Matlab, Labview etc.)
· Background in machine learning, Tensorflow and Python
· Knowledge or previous involvement writing funding proposals for research grants a plus.
· Experience in customer co-creation.