Quality Manager in Projects - Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 230164
Primary Location: United States-Kentucky-Louisville
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional
passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
Siemens Rail Automation
Siemens Rail Automation supplies railway markets around the world with solutions and turnkey installations for railway automation and telecommunication. Our customers are infrastructure operators and mainline railways all round the world as well as industrial railways and public transport authorities in cities and mega-cities.
Our products and systems are used for automating our customers' operations management processes and thus make a considerable contribution to improving their economic situation in particular and mobility in general. We are looking for the best talent to shape the technology of the future. Come build your career in one of the best companies in the world!
The mission of the Quality Manager in Projects (QMiP) is to act as an expert and support the Project Manager (PM) as a partner by planning, supervising, ensuring and reporting of appropriate activities with regards to failure prevention and effective actions (both proactive and reactive). The QMiP acts as a catalyst for continuous improvement in all project phases by communicating lessons learned from other projects and through process improvement.
Of importance is the authority to intervene at any stage in the project, in the case of non-conformance in delivery and project results or any jeopardization of the project results, i.e. indication of incorrect situations and escalation as and when required.
The scope of the job incorporates all project-related activities to meet the targeted results with regard to quality with respect to requirements. It covers quality management throughout the entire life cycle of product development, from a use case and requirement clarification, design, software development, hardware development, test, validation, field test and pilot projects.
The main tasks are:
· Quality Management System: (a) define and implement a QM system for project-specific application in accordance with the overall QM system; (b) support project management in planning and securing milestone results; (c) cooperate with business unit QM and other functions e.g. environmental protection, health and safety at work.
· Quality planning: Establish and monitor project-specific quality plan and define quality targets based on project critical factors and define methods/tools based on HQ standards. Progress and results should be verifiable based on (a) project factors, (b) quality related KPI's or key figures, (c) defined target values or characteristics as per project target agreement (PM agreement) to be achieved.
· Quality reporting: Report quality status, quality incidents and root-cause-analysis to Project Management (PM), business unit QM and other defined parties, jointly with the PM team, based on determined KPI's, key figures and specified characteristics. Communicate quality targets to all people affected or involved. Escalate project-endangering situations as set forth in the mission of the function and if relevant, to the head of the business unit.
· Customer integration: Ensure adherence to processes by a) analyzing and monitoring fulfillment of contractual and committed requirements b) managing professional feedback to and from the customer, c) managing complaints.
· Quality in processes and projects: Ensure execution of quality plan and quality gate processes through active involvement in readiness checks and participation in quality gate meetings. Reject releases e.g. at quality gates in case of non-conformity and ensure the initiation and closure of corrective actions. Report and escalate as set forth in the mission of the function.
· Continuous improvement: Support the planning, initiation and coordination of continuous improvement actions for all phases of the project. Ensure good practice sharing and feedback of experience e.g. through continuous improvement workshops (esp. lessons learned) and project assessments.
· Quality-based supplier management: Plan and ensure the required quality level of the project-specific supply chain (internal & external) with the focus on specifications and interface definitions. This includes the support of Purchasing in the application of supplier-related procedures, such as selection, qualification, development, integration, supervision and auditing.
· Qualification on quality: Identify qualification requirements and initiate training for project employees with regards to knowledge of quality methods to be applied, process awareness and expert knowledge.
· Audits and assessments: Plan and conduct project audits, assessments, reviews and participate in status meetings. Ensure implementation of (improvement) measures.
· Support of Safety: Planning and preparation of quality management reports in line with EN 50129 as groundwork for the safety case, as required by projects.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 8+ years’ experience in quality management of complex systems and products
- Experience with product development with both system and software and hardware content
- System and software development processes and methods for vital, safety related and non-vital applications
- Experience with quality management and configuration management tools (Quality Center, ClearCase, ClearQuest, test management tools, defect management tools, requirements management tools, Doors, Rational Team Center, etc.)
- Experience in the configuration of tools for creation of metrics and reports
- Collaboration and management skills
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Strategic thinking
- Ability to work independently
- Leadership and conflict resolution skills
- Working in international environment
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, tuition reimbursement, & 18 days of PTO to start
- Extensive training along with career development
We aim to hire top talent and provide them with opportunities to earn top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in an innovative environment. If you're interested in becoming a QMiP with Siemens Mobility, we'll offer you the support and career advancement to make it happen.