Mechanical Developer - Rotating Equipment
Business Unit: Large Drives
Requisition Number: 230358
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Norwood
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Process Industries and Drives Division helps manufacturers measurably increase productivity and improve time-to-market with our innovative, integrated technology and services. We support our customers in continuously improving the reliability, safety, and efficiency of products, processes and plants.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
- Responsible for mechanical design of industrial electric motors (new product development).
- Responsible for validation of new components and systems of components (i.e. system analysis) using mechanical engineering analysis techniques.
- Accountable for meeting project milestone dates.
- Accountable for the performance, cost-effectiveness and correct functionality of the created system of components.
- The position will report to the Product Development R&D Manager within the large induction motors business based in Norwood, OH, USA. This business supports the entire lifecycle – that is, marketing of new products through service and decommissioning – of large induction motors within the Siemens Process Industries and Drives division.
- Create new components and assemblies which meet all project requirements using NX and Teamcenter
- Validate components and systems of components through static and dynamic structural analysis in an FEA environment (ANSYS)
- Often responsible for coordinating component design work among multiple engineers
- Use Teamcenter to manage and control models, drawings and bills of material
- Provide technical support to procurement, operations and manufacturing functions in building and purchasing materials for new motor product families
- Troubleshoot complex design and manufacturing process issues
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering required
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience performing 3D mechanical design and mechanical engineering analysis for industrial equipment, or advanced degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- Travel is rare but may be required under special circumstances.
- Minimum required skills:
- Strong in 3D modeling
- Strong in 2D drawing creation
- Strong ability to properly set up, conduct and interpret results of mechanical stress analysis (static & dynamic) in an FEA environment for an assembly of components
- Basic technical writing
- Intermediate-level knowledge of bearing design for large rotating equipment
- Intermediate-level use of Microsoft Excel and Word
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical colleagues
- Strong in 3D modeling
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Specific experience in electric motor or other rotating equipment design
- Significant experience or educational background in dynamic structural analysis of rotating equipment
- Experience with NX (modeling) and ANSYS (stress analysis / FEA)
- Notable experience in any of the following areas:
- Bearing design
- High-performance fan design
- Fluid heat exchanger design or fluid flow simulation
- Troubleshooting of vibration in industrial equipment
- Engineer-to-order process automation using RuleStream
- Bearing design