Siemens HealthineersBusiness Unit:
Laboratory DiagnosticsRequisition Number:
United States-Delaware-NewarkOther Locations:
United States-New York-Tarrytown, United States-New Jersey-FlandersAssignment Category:
Full-time regularExperience Level:
Mid levelEducation Required Level:
Bachelor's DegreeTravel Required:
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineersJob Description:
Position Summary – Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Mechanical Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Medical Device Sr. Engineer will lead and be responsible for developing and coordinating new designs, integrating, prototyping, to finish product of subsystems used in our medical devices. Successful candidate will lead R&D new and improving products, creating designs with robustness, performance, and Standard Product Cost (SPC) as a Key Performance Indicators (KPI); produce 3D models and 2D detailed drawings utilizing GD&T and Siemens best practices; lead in troubleshooting and determining root cause for issues; participate in the Set Based Design process; and support product lifecycle through Siemens change process. This engineer’s main subsystem area of responsibilities on the medical device will be the customer facing exterior covers and their supporting structures. We are looking for an engineer with experience in molding processes (for medical devices would be ideal) and sheet metal to come in and work with the Siemens teams and an external contract design company to drive functional excellence. This position requires a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and 10+ years of experience leading development in molded plastics.
The Medical Device Sr. Engineer position is open to our Glasgow, DE site. The engineer will have to work with Siemens personnel at our other sites (Glasgow, DE – Flanders, NJ – Tarrytown, NY, Ireland, and Germany). There is an expectation of travel as needed to the Siemens and external contract design site. The position reports to the R&D Structures and Covers Team Lead within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Work within a cross-functional team to provide assistance in developing quality, manufacturable, testable, and lowest cost designs.
- Ensure project teams internally and externally affected by subsystem designs are aligned with each other.
- Ensure external contract design company is using best practice processes and procedures, and they remain consistent.
Provide advice and guidance in designing of injection molded and sheet metal parts as well as mechanisms and assemblies.
Produce 3D models and 2D detailed drawings utilizing GD&T and Siemens engineering best practices.
Participate in drafting and design reviews with a cross-functional team.
Drive Engineering excellence by participating in Siemens Center of Excellence activities and Design to Shelf initiatives (Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), Set Based Design, Logical Decision making, Creating Knowledge briefs, etc.).
Work with Suppliers in a team setting to address technical issues with designs and mold tooling.
Support detailed engineering analysis of new and existing designs to verify robustness and design intent.
Lead Engineering changes through the Siemens design change process.
Participates in preparing prototypes for testing and provides technical lead on design feasibility.
- Ensure project teams get parts on time and of the quality expected.
- Evaluate new technologies constantly to fabricate and develop covers.
- Prepares reviews for technical and business leadership.
- Strong prior design knowledge of injection molded parts and molded practices.
- Strong prior knowledge of rapid prototyping.
- Must have some proficiency in 3D CAD/CAM design software (NX preferred).
- Proficiency in Team Center a plus.
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Specific knowledge of structures for mounting covers a plus.
- Exposure to Agile/Scrum methodologies desirable.
- Understanding of new product development process’ and procedures.
- Understanding of multiple manufacturing methods including plastic injection molding machining, etc.
- Good communication skills, written and oral.
- Some understanding of intellectual property.
- The ability to relate well and establish credibility at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of demonstrated success in molded covers and rapid prototyping environment required.