Sr Mechanical Engineer
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 230609
Primary Location: United States-Delaware-Newark
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Mechanical Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries another clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Medical Device Covers Engineer will work with the R&D Structures and Covers Team and will be responsible for outsourcing all of the covers used in our portfolio of medical devices to an approved external development service company. This engineer will be responsible for the required documents (contractual agreement, DIR, Functional Specification, and other project deliverables) from the definition to the validation phase of Siemens product development process. We are looking for an engineer with experience in molded covers (for medical devices would be ideal) to come in and work with the Siemens team and drive functional excellence and world class cover creations with an external developer. This position requires a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering and 10+ years of experience leading development in a molded covers setting.The Medical Device Covers Engineer position is open to our Glasgow, DE site. The engineer may have to work with Siemens personnel at any of our three sites (Glasgow, DE – Flanders, NJ – Tarrytown, NY). There is an expectation of travel as needed to the Siemens and external developer sites. The position reports to the R&D Structures and Covers Team Lead within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).Responsibilities
The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures projects teams internally and externally are aligned with each other.
- Ensures external developer is using best practice processes and procedures, and they remain consisent.
- Ensure the quality of work produced by the external developer team is high, and apply continuous improvement measures.
- Ensure external developer teams are engaged, have high morale, and perform at a high levels at all times.
- Oversee external developer design, prototyping, and development activities.
- Ensure project teams get parts on time and of the quality expected.
- Evaluate new technologies constantly to fabricate and develop covers.
- Brainstorm new ways of working to eliminate waste and reduce time to receive covers.
- Apply problem solving skills and root cause analysis to all areas of the business.
- Prepares reviews for business and technical leadership.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Strong prior design knowledge of molded cover and molded practices.
- Strong prior knowledge of rapid prototyping covers.
- Must have some proficiency in 3D CAD/CAM design software (NX preferred).
- Proficiency in TeamCenter a plus.
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of castings and structures. Specifically structure for mounting covers.
- Exposure to Agile/Scrum methodologies desirable.
- Understanding of new product development process’ and procedures.
- Understanding of multiple manufacturing methods including plastic injection molding machining, etc.
- Good communication skills, written and oral.
- Some understanding of intellectual property.
- The ability to relate well and establish credibility at all levels of the organization.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of demonstrated success in molded covers and rapid prototyping environment required.