Siemens HealthineersBusiness Unit:
Laboratory DiagnosticsRequisition Number:
United States-Delaware-NewarkOther Locations:
United States-New York-Tarrytown, United States-New Jersey-FlandersAssignment Category:
Full-time regularExperience Level:
Mid levelEducation Required Level:
Bachelor's DegreeTravel Required:
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
For more information, please visit: http://www.usa.siemens.com/healthineersJob Description:
Position Summary – Engineering Manager – Machining and Prototyping
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Mechanical Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Engineering Manager will lead a team of 4 machinists across three locations. This manager will own and drive part fabrication from prototype SLA machines, to fully machined components. We are looking for an engineering manager with experience in machine shop practices and rapid prototyping, to come in build a team in each of our locations, and drive functional excellence and world class part creation internally and externally. This position requires a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering (or equivalent experience) and 10+ years of experience leading in a machine shop or rapid prototyping setting.
The Engineering Manager – Machining and Prototyping position is open to any of our three sites (Glasgow, DE – Flanders, NJ – Tarrytown, NY). There is an expectation of travel up to 20% across these sites. The position reports to the Director of Mechanical Engineering within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures projects teams get parts on time and of the quality expected
- Conducts mid, end of year reviews of team members. Drives development plans as needed.
- Develops training plans for staff and updates accordingly to project needs
- Participate in long range planning sessions
- Develops team annual budgets (capital equipment, labor, material)
- Evaluate new technologies constantly to fabricate and develop parts
- Ensures teams are using best practice processes and procedures, and they remain consistent across locations
- Brainstorm new ways of working to eliminate waste and reduce time to part
- Ensure teams are engaged, have high morale, and perform at a high levels at all times
- Apply problem solving skills and root cause analysis to all areas of the business
- Ensure the quality of work produced by the team is high, and apply continuous improvement measures
- Prepares reviews for business and technical leadership.
- Strong prior design knowledge of CNC machining centers and machine shop practices
- Strong prior knowledge of rapid prototyping machines
- Must have some proficiency in 3D CAD/CAM design software (NX preferred).
- Proficiency in TeamCenter a plus.
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Exposure to Agile/Scrum methodologies desirable
- Understanding of new product development process’ and procedures
- Understanding of multiple manufacturing methods including plastic injection molding, sheet metal, castings, extrusions, machining, etc.
- Good communication skills, written and oral
- The ability to relate well and establish credibility at all levels of the organization
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of demonstrated success in a machine shop, rapid prototyping environment required.
- Experienced functional manager with 5+ years leading small teams