Application Engineering Manager, Locomotives
Business Unit: Mobility (MO)
Requisition Number: 230707
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 30%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
The Application Engineering Manager, Locomotives is responsible for the design and engineering life cycle of the locomotive projects reporting to the Director of Engineering . The main objective of this role is to lead the design and engineering effort for customized versions of the current locomotive portfolio capitalizing on the platform design with the integration of agreed customer specified requirements.
• You will be the overall Locomotive Engineering Manager at this facility. You will set up and lead a team of engineers creating the product deliverables as well as supporting business development, procurement, manufacturing, testing and warranty.
• You will specify the requirements and liaise across departments providing clarity and so forth, including the formulization of the vehicle configuration sheets starting at the bidding stage.
• You will be in charge of systems integration of the complete product including agreed customer requirements in line with the mutually agreed scope of work with locomotive engineering Center of Competence, compilation of the BOM’s and technical specifications.
• You will also be the technical representative and lead in customer design reviews. You will control and direct other engineering project managers and the rest of your team.
• You will be responsible for creating the WBS’s, assigning resources and ensuring that the scheduled release dates are met.
• You will prepare engineering estimates for customer change orders and future proposal work.
• You will be responsible to manage the budgets and create the bottoms-up calculations for future proposals.
• You will liaise with the Center of Competence in Europe and be the engineering representative here in Sacramento. You will have a direct input into the scope of work for each projects as well as setting up collaboration agreements with our colleagues in Europe. You will be the locomotive platform manager.
• You will travel up to 20% of your time.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• BS degree in Engineering or related discipline, or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Rolling Stock locomotive experience for a minimum of 10-15 years
• Travel will be about 25%
• Knowledge of the American locomotives and related standards organizations.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience