Specialist Engineer - Cyber Defense Expert
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 230742
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Cyber Defense Expert – Defending Industrial Digitalization in the 21st Century
Here’s the right opportunity for You!
Join our cyber security research and consulting group located in Princeton, NJ, as an expert for OT (Operation Technology) Cyber Defense. In this role, you research new and improved approaches to detect attacks on industrial networks and applications, find new and better ways to analyze and respond to such attacks, and provide answers on how to mitigate and learn from attacks. You will work within our Cyber Defense Analytics team, advising Siemens business units on how to advance the security of our customers, in products, as well as in security services. As part of your role, you will have the opportunity to understand and analyze industrial applications and Siemens products and solutions, from areas such as control systems used in energy utilities that are part of the nation’s critical infrastructure, smart factories, building automation systems, intelligent transportation systems, and innovative new products and solutions developed by Siemens. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications.
Are you up for the challenge?
is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services. Our support functions are split into two organizations, Corporate Core and Corporate Services. These organizations provide essential services to better enable responsible and profitable growth. For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/
What will be my responsibilities?
· Your job will be to manage and contribute to projects with stakeholders in the Siemens Business Units that advance their capabilities and tool chain for supporting our customers’ need to operate secure products and networks.
· You task will be to understand the state-of-the-art in the area of OT Cyber Defense, and find ways to make technological advances usable for the Siemens business, both via engineering of product features and solutions, as well as in the role of a distinguished technical expert.
· You will get to work with application/product owners within Siemens to determine their need for product security, develop and propose strategies and solutions to address this need, present and explain the envisioned methodology, and successfully execute the projects.
· A special focus will be on becoming a senior key expert in the area of OT Attack Detection, understanding how technology in a SOC can help customers to secure their networks, and work with Security Analytics experts to ensure data analytics is used to the full extent of its value.
· You will contribute to our research agenda with the goal to develop new ideas, prototypes and innovative improvements, to continuously advance our capabilities in the area of OT Cyber Defense and Security Analytics.
What do I need to qualify for this position?
· 5+ years of hands-on experience in IT and/or OT Cyber Defense required
· Excellent up-to-date technical and hands-on knowledge, experience in current attack methods, detection strategies and use cases, SOC tool chains and software stacks, how to use threat intelligence for attack detection, and incident response required; prior experience in penetration testing and/or IT/OT forensics a plus
· Ability to understand, verify, and explain cyber attacks on applications and networks; ability to review and ensure the secure configuration of OS and network devices
· Proficiency in a scripting language like Python, PowerShell, LUA, or Bash
· Problem solver who sees a roadblock and figures out how to get around it with a strong hands-on and can-do attitude; strongly motivated to constantly stay a step ahead of attackers
· Bachelors degree in a relevant discipline required, and M.Sc. in Computer Science, Information Security, or Mathematics preferred
· Willingness to travel, up to 20% (domestic/international)
· Relevant certifications are a plus but not required
· Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, click here at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf