Graduate Intern - Autonomy For Industrial Production Systems
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 231263
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Posting title: Summer Intern: Autonomy For Industrial Production Systems
Are you interested in driving the revolution in machine learning for bringing autonomous systems with built-in cognition for real industrial applications?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group future of automation, production automation & engineering research group located in Charlotte, NC, for a summer internship starting in May 2019. You will get the opportunity to investigate new control and optimization building blocks for autonomous systems in diverse application areas such as advanced production systems in conventional and smart factories, IoT for shop-floor and robotics. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research. An internship with Siemens Corporate Technology is a great opportunity for students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment.
Our Charlotte, NC and Princeton, NJ facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities? (Keep this very high level based on the type of projects your research group has had in the past or anticipates having in the future)
- You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of process design, control and optimization, motion drives and fleet data based innovative predictive analytics
- You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes and get quick feedback from end-users from real shop-floor production systems
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship? (Keep this high level if you plan on hiring multiple interns with varied backgrounds and skills sets)
- A current student pursuing a MS/PhD degree in Engineering or Mathematics, applied statistics, robotics, industrial engineering and computer science
- 12 months of experience in advanced algorithm prototyping
- 12 months programming experience in MATLAB and C++, e.g. writing reusable code
- Domain knowledge in manufacturing or power systems preferred
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
- Programming knowledge in Visual Basic, Java, Python and C++, e.g. writing reusable code