Graduate Intern - Autonomy For Industrial Production Systems
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 231263
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models
developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our
central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays
an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we
are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important
services along the entire value chain – from research and development to
production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business
processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and
development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively
helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be
a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance
as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and
your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products
for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the
business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of
Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Are you interested in driving the revolution in machine learning for bringing autonomous systems with built-in cognition for real industrial applications?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group future of automation, production automation & engineering research group located in Charlotte, NC, for a 3 – 9 month internship. You will get the opportunity to investigate new control and optimization building blocks for autonomous systems in diverse application areas such as advanced production systems in conventional and smart factories, IoT for shop-floor and robotics. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research. An internship with Siemens Corporate Technology is a great opportunity for students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment.
Our Charlotte, NC and Princeton, NJ facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities? (Keep this very high level based on the type of projects your research group has had in the past or anticipates having in the future)
· You will contribute to industrial research projects on control and optimization for autonomous systems with applications in manufacturing and/or power systems
· You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of process design, control and optimization, motion drives and fleet data based innovative predictive analytics
· You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes and get quick feedback from end-users from real shop-floor production systems
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship? (Keep this high level if you plan on hiring multiple interns with varied backgrounds and skills sets)
- A current student pursuing a MS/PhD degree in Engineering or Mathematics, applied statistics, robotics, industrial engineering and computer science
- 12 months of experience in advanced algorithm prototyping
- 12 months programming experience in MATLAB and C++, e.g. writing reusable code
- Domain knowledge in manufacturing or power systems preferred
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
· Programming knowledge in Visual Basic, Java, Python and C++, e.g. writing reusable code