Graduate Intern - Internet of Things - IoT/ Distributed Systems Performance Research
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 231532
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best
Are you interested in driving the Internet of Things revolution?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group Internet of Things – Distributed Systems located in Princeton, NJ, for a 10-12 weeks internship, and investigate Internet of Things applications for Industrial applications. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research.
Our Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems.
What are my responsibilities?
- You will contribute to develop performance models of IoT devices and servers
- You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the field of distributing computing
- You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes
- You will document your findings as a publishable scientific paper
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- A current M.S./ Ph.D. student in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
- Proficient programming skills in C/C++, Python, Go or any other system programming language
- Experience with machine learning tools such as scikit-learn, GoLearn etc.
- Knowledge of performance and network monitoring tools such as Collectd, Ganglia, Nagios etc.
- Knowledge of tracing and profiling tools such as Linux Perf, OProfile
- Interest in performance analysis and modeling
- Understanding of CPU, GPU and micro-architectures
- Ability to conduct research under guidance
- Preferably, background in systems research demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English with an excellent interpersonal skills and can-do attitude
- Drive and motivation for career development and open to take responsibilities for challenging tasks
- Team player which can also be independent, prioritize work and thrives in a fast-paced dynamic environment
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#