Reseach Intern - Future of Automation, Robotics and AI
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 231872
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: None
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Are you interested in shaping the Advanced Manufacturing of the Future? Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group Advanced Manufacturing Automation located in Berkeley, CA for a 3 – 12 month internship, and investigate the latest advances in artificial intelligence, machine learning and optimization, in diverse application areas such as smart factories, intelligent buildings, and advanced robotics. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research.
For more than170 years, pioneering technologies, and the business models developed from them, have been the foundation of Siemens’ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with its global network of experts, CT is a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. Siemens’ central research and development arm sees itself as a strategic partner to the company’s businesses. It plays a key role in achieving and maintaining leading competitive positions in the fields of electrification and automation while at the same time helping Siemens fully tap into the growth field of digitalization.
Our Berkeley facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities?
- You will contribute to industrial research projects by applying and advancing AI methods, optimization and edge/cloud architectures for planning, control and perception in complex tasks performed by automation equipment such as robots.
- You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of AI, automation, and control.
- You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes.
- A current BSc, MSc or PhD student in Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics
- Experience in software development
- Outstanding programming knowledge in Python
- Solid understanding of C/C++
- Experience in prototyping algorithms and working with ROS.
- Good knowledge of core concepts such as dynamics, feedback control, Bayesian estimation, and optimization
- Familiarity with sensor data processing
- Knowledge of machine learning concepts.
- Familiarity with deep learning and related tools (Caffe, Tensor Flow, Theano).
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills in English.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#