Plastics Engineer, Staff
Business Unit: Laboratory Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 231950
Primary Location: United States-Delaware-Newark
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
The position will manage non-chemical consumable products used in production for Glasgow, DE manufacturing, focusing on quality, compliance, and assurance of supply within the Glasgow Supplier Operations team. The position will be integral to the development activities currently undertaken by the instrument manufacturing new product development (NPD) group on non-chemical consumables such as cuvettes, reagent packs, reaction vessels, etc. that are either raw materials for Glasgow or shipped as finished, customer orderable goods. The position will augment activities of the Glasgow Supplier Operations team by interfacing with suppliers on molded components such as cuvettes and bottles and non-molded components such as film and labels to ensure compliance and to balance quality, delivery, and cost.
- Utilizes technical knowledge of injection molding, polymers, and materials to advise designers and manufacturing personnel. Provides direction and ensures compliance with Siemens Healthineers' quality management system.
- Manages development and design activities for New Product Introduction (NPI) of non-chemical consumables, provides project support and manufacturing engineering support.
- Interprets and clarifies information from validations (IQ, OQ, PQC), complex specifications, performance characteristics, and other technical data.
- Collaborates with suppliers and tool makers to meet or exceed business objectives.
- Drives and supports productivity improvement projects such as material cost savings initiatives.
- Develops specifications, DFMEA's, technical evaluations, and other technical documents.
- Some travel required.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- In-depth technical expertise with plastics, injection molding, and materials engineering.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work across organizational boundaries, build networks, and collaborate in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to attain results while balancing technical solutions with business needs.
- Ability to act independently while managing complex and ambiguous tasks with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated high level critical thinking and problem solving abilities with experience containing problems, conducting and documenting root cause, and identifying and executing solutions.
- Bachelor of Science, a minimum, in relevant field such as Material Science Engineering, etc.
- Minimum 8 years experience.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience working in FDA regulated environment.
- Experience managing suppliers.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills.
- Experience collaborating with chemists and chemical engineers.
- Experience working with products used in diagnostic or analytical laboratories.
- Technical knowledge of various materials and manufacturing processes such as glass, film, extruded polymers, etc.
- Experience auditing suppliers.
- Strong working knowledge of statistics and design for manufacturing.
- Strong business acumen.
- Familiarity with SAP, Microsoft Office, and Siemens diagnostic laboratory instruments.