Engineering Development Manager - Intelligent Traffic Solutions
Business Unit: Intelligent Traffic Systems
Requisition Number: 232015
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Sharing the road takes on new meaning as the future of mobility gets closer every day. It’s no longer just cars making room for bicycles. Privately owned cars will often yield to autonomous vehicles as cities become smarter. Public transit options will become the method of choice thanks to micro transit solutions that connect far-flung neighborhoods to convenient and safe city-run transportation networks. Technology-enabled solutions like these will be welcomed by a world where the urban population is expected to exceed 70% of the total population by 2050 and car congestion could grow dramatically if left unimpeded. In the U.S., car density is expected to triple by 2030. Fortunately, intelligent transportation solutions are being developed today that will help reduce congestion, lead to 30,000 fewer deaths in traffic accidents on U.S. highways, and help curb pollution around the world tomorrow.
Seamless mobility is the future of transportation, and Siemens is leading the way. Our transformative approach to urban transportation combines existing infrastructure with forward-looking, application-driven technology that begins meeting tomorrow’s needs today. We help make cities smarter by providing a path to a tailor-made transportation ecosystem that is more digital, connected, and integrated. Cities already appreciate the way our solutions make effective use of both their roadways and fleets while reducing costs, noise, and greenhouse gas emissions. In the near future, users will enjoy public transportation that is faster, more flexible and reliable, safer, and affordable. The result is an intermodal mobility ecosystem that dramatically reduces congestion, increases safety, improves accessibility, and reduces costs for cities and riders alike.
As an Engineering Development Manager at Siemens Intelligent Traffic Systems (ITS), you will be responsible for shaping this future by leading an R&D team in the domain of embedded systems that support our nation’s infrastructure – protecting drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists – all while improving travel times. These systems support connected devices and vehicles (e.g. traffic controllers, road side units, UPS, detectors, etc.) while supporting the complex decision-making tasks to control and optimize traffic in metropolitan areas.
You will be part of a management team that is dedicated to supporting these systems and bringing the most innovative and highest quality products to meet that market needs. You will have the opportunity to build your experience in the ITS market, while developing leading edge solutions at the same time. At Siemens, we make life better for people, and at Siemens ITS, we positively impact the quality of life of millions of American drivers daily by making traffic flow safely and efficiently.
This Role will include the following responsibilities:
- Supervises multiple employees, typically 5-10 exempt-level employees.
- Maintains performance management responsibilities for employees under review and directs hiring, firing and promotion decisions.
- Frequent inter-organizational and external contacts, including collaboration with product line management, sales and customers.
- Identifies resource needs and develops justification.
- Responsible for overall success of function and hardware design project including technical concepts and approval of all project artifacts.
- Coordinate development and production efforts with multiple manufacturing facilities
- Provide engineering support to manufacturing facilities to achieve high yield and efficiency
- Coordinate efforts with Quality Managers and Repair Service to identify root causes and correct design issues
- Manage component obsolescence and lead efforts to identify most cost-effective solutions
- Support qualification for customer’s approved product lists.
- Guide very complex projects and develops project organization, definition, planning, implementation and control.
- Develop and guide technical standards and develop complex technology design theory and procedures.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives to develop complex specifications reflecting user requirements and business criteria.
- Successfully define work flows, jobs, and reporting relationships to obtain optimum effectiveness.
- Innovate! Continuously enhance or improve existing products, policies, and methods for design-to-cost projects.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, BSEE strongly preferred
- Demonstrates and applies advanced knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures for area managed and basic knowledge of other areas in the company and how they interact.
- Demonstrates understanding and application of management approaches for work direction, motivation, performance management, and disciplinary action.
- Qualified applicants will have 8+ years of successful experience in a directly related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Technical knowledge traffic signaling, traffic operations concepts in ITS industry
- Professional Engineering Certification (PE)
- Project Management Certification (PMP)
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with Embedded Control Systems Electronics design & development
- Quality assurance, testing, test automation, verification, validation
- Requirements engineering
- System/ Software architecture
- Electronics PCB development methodologies and tools
- Standards, process and methods for safety critical hardware
- Competitive compensation.
- Excellent health, vision, and dental plans with many options from which to choose.
- All employees receive Life Insurance, Short, and Long-Term Disability coverage.
- 401k match dollar for dollar up to 6% of gross salary.
- Education reimbursement programs available.
- Extensive product training and professional career development.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.