Engineering Specialist I - Building Automation Service - Hayward CA
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 232098
Primary Location: United States-California-Hayward
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 5%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate.
Siemens is seeking an automation-controls Engineering Specialist for our team in Hayward. This role partners with branch team members who sell, engineer, install, and manage building automation projects—providing knowledge and expertise throughout the project lifecycle.
- Collaborates with the Sales Team and Project Manager to review Sales Estimates, and engineering design, and be the lead for start-up and commissioning in a range of projects.
- Attends pre-booking and cost review meetings to gain knowledge of the sales estimate and project scope, and provide technical input accordingly.
- Analyzes plans, specifications, and contract to determine system requirements.
- In collaboration with the engineering team, selects products, sizes, types, and location placement to ensure products meet specification requirements.
- Designs building automation systems consisting of mechanical system layouts, electrical drawings, bill of materials, sequence of operations, valve and damper schedules, and Direct Digital Control panel layouts to meet the intent of the project plans, specifications, and contract documents.
- Designs building automation network architecture to support operator workstations, DDC field panels, third party integration devices connected through, Ethernet, Siemens P2, BACnet.
- Creates automation system database and job-related programming for computer-based building control systems.
- Establishes special calibration instructions on selected equipment. Oversees the creation of system graphics.
- Troubleshoots possible issues including identifying and debugging software, and identifying ad correcting electrical or pneumatic problems.
- Organizes and maintains the job folder and updates pertinent job related information.
- Prepares engineering re-estimate reports, minimizes variances and justifications.
- Provides on-site assistance with or performs the programming, start-up, checkout, commissioning and validation processes.
- Participates in job site final walk-through on assigned jobs, completes all job closeout documentation and provides customer training.
- Acts as a technical resource to existing customers and field employees as needed.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Required education: High school diploma, state-recognized GED, or state-recognized high school proficiency exam.
- Required experience: Demonstrable electro-mechanical aptitude (based on previous experience and/or education) needed to be successful in this role.
- Required travel: 5%
- Other requirements:
- Strong knowledge of industry engineering fundamentals, HVAC concepts, business operations, and job financial reports required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to read and understand design and construction documents.
- Skilled in the PC applications and in the use of word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to work in a variety of circumstances including climbing ladders, scaffolds and high-lift equipment as well as working in ducts, crawl spaces, and above ceilings.
- Must be able to differentiate types/colors of wire.
- Must be able to use hand-tools.
- Must be able to carry and move equipment and tools weighing up to 75 pounds unassisted.
- Ability to use laptop, smartphone, and tablet.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without a current or future need of sponsorship.
- Must be at least 21 years old to participate in required Siemens vehicle plan.
- Must have a valid driver's license in good standing.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience:
- Preferred education: Bachelor’s degree.
- Siemens is a globally diversified engineering powerhouse: an opportunity such as this one can open doors to engineering practices and businesses new to you, preparing you for a great future with potential in so many types of fields—sustainability, energy, medical technologies, to name a few—in almost any location you ever dreamed of exploring.
- Competitive compensation.
- Excellent health, dental, and vision plans with many options from which to choose.
- All employees receive Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability coverage.
- 401k match dollar for dollar up to 6% of gross salary.
- Education and tuition reimbursement programs available.
- Extensive product training and professional career development.