Rail Electrification Technical Manager
Business Unit: Turnkey Projects & Electrification
Requisition Number: 232320
Primary Location: United States-Oregon-Tualatin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
The Technical Manager will play a vital role in the safe and timely completion of all Engineering deliverables to ensure projects are delivered on-time and on-budget and that all safety, quality and environmental requirements are met.
The Rail Electrification Technical Manager is the key technical expert on all projects and will be responsible for ensuring that the project engineering team are best placed to deliver all engineering designs on-time and on-budget whilst maximizing the opportunity to identify additional work opportunities.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Overall accountability for managing the development of fully compliant Engineering bid deliverables that meet the requirements of the bid including the production of a Requirements / Compliance Matrix
- Analyze and review the technical feasibility of solutions and the risks
- Manage all project Engineering Quality Gates and Milestones during the LoA & EPiQ bid process
- For bids utilizing the Siemens “New Collaboration Model” (NCM), continuously liaise with off-shore Technical Manager(s) (TM) to ensure the most competitive and technically compliant bid is submitted
- Review and sign LoA “Engineering Statement” for all bids
- Participate in bid risk workshops
- Participate in LoA reviews
Project Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Overall accountability for managing the development of fully compliant Engineering project deliverables that meet the requirements of the contract
- Lead and capture all technical design conferences
- Review, acceptance and Customer release of engineering packages prepared by our Engineering department (internally)
- Review, acceptance and Customer release of engineering packages prepared by our external approved suppliers and / or other third parties (externally)
- Manage all project Engineering Quality Gates and Milestones in EPiQ in accordance with the Engineering guideline
- Continuously manage the Engineering project schedule on a project and enterprise level
- Implement most economical Engineering design methodology
- Act as a Requirements Lead and / or Contributor in the Requirements Management (RM) process
- Provide Technical leadership for the project Engineering team that covers cross discipline work streams to provide an integrated solution for the Customer (non-line management)
- Ensure that any sub-contracted Engineering design work is awarded and managed in a professional, cost effective manner
- Management of interdisciplinary designs i.e. TPSS, HV Distribution, M&E, SCADA, Telecoms, Signaling, ETE, Earthing, Civil & Structural
- Management of technical interfaces
- Assist with the development of Bid estimates and documentation for new opportunities
- Ensure productive and cost effective use of technical resources to achieve project targets, margins and profit
- Ensure that all Engineering designs are in accordance with the customers’ approval processes
- Understand primary interfaces, Engineering design drivers and stakeholders on projects that will influence the technical Engineering design
- Positively influence Engineering design and construction safety performance and aims for zero accidents
- Conduct and capture monthly project progress meetings with the Engineering project team.
- Attend monthly Project Reviews and represent the Engineering project team
- Review and appraise all tender specs and associated project documents as part of the LoA process.
- Fully manage the end to end Engineering design process.
- Ensure sufficient project resources are obtained in a timely manner to meet Programme commitments.
- Provide technical support to all Project Manager(s) as required
- Provide technical support to all Commercial Manager(s) and ensure all Engineering design change requests are processed in a timely manner
- Maintain a project RFI and TQ register
- Maintain a project technical risk register
- Produce and issue Project progress and KPI reports
- Maintain effective communications with all project participants to ensure contract delivery.
- Take an active role in the local coaching of junior /less experienced staff to ensure the developmental needs of both the individual and the business are met
- Develop synergy between projects to offer services to Customers that are both innovative and value for money
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analyzing problems and creating innovative solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Flexible approach to work, and ability to prioritize and manage your time effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgments
- Participate in Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT, Factory Integration Testing (FIT) and Field / Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) as required.
- Willingness to travel across the USA
- Undertake lessons learnt exercises to maintain value
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering (minimum)
- Master of Science (MSc) degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering (preferred)
Knowledge & Experience:
- Professional Engineer (PE) qualified in any US state
- Minimum 10 years’ experience working within the Rail Electrification market
- Practicing specialist in the specialist engineering discipline for which the nomination is made.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience of AC and / or DC rail electrification schemes, particularly distribution assets
- Proficient in discipline specific ANSI / IEEE and NEMA standards
- Experience within a contracting or manufacturer industry
- Proven safety management knowledge
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Proven experience in managing people in a dynamic and challenging business environment
- Strong organizational, collaborative and leadership experience and capability.
- Strong business and financial understanding and good appreciation of contractual, commercial issues associated with design business
- Good communication and inter personal skills and be able to effectively communicate and report at all levels.
- Has the management skill to undertake the role.
- Has an understanding of interfaces between engineering disciplines involved in the project.
- Can influence or directly manage those whose roles contribute to compliance.
- Understands their responsibility for appointing adequate competent engineering resources to undertake the works.
- Understands and has the time to undertake the role.
- Proven safety management knowledge.
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of and experience with the following Siemens products is an advantage:
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience designing control circuitry for similar products than those listed above is an advantage
- Demonstrable in-depth knowledge and experience managing technical requirements through the verification and validation (V&V) process either as a requirements lead or contributor
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & Visio)
- Proficient in Microsoft Project Professional (minimum)
- Proficient in Oracle Primavera P6 (desired)
- Proficient in IBM DOORS (desired)
Specific Health, Safety & Environmental Responsibilities for this Post:
- Accept a personal responsibility to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts and omissions
- Take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions that could have an environmental impact
- Ensure compliance with the business procedures relative to their position
- Follow emergency procedures
- Wear approved protective clothing and use safety equipment when required by health and safety regulations
- Use all equipment provided safely - notify local management of any observed deficiencies or defects as soon as they become apparent
- Inform management of any changes in materials, plant or processes and of any new materials, plant or processes which become apparent in the course of work that may impact on safety or the environment
- Inform management of any potential items that could improve Siemens environmental performance
- Immediately inform management of any observed hazards, injuries or dangerous occurrences, which become apparent during work
- Stop work when instructed to do so and only resume or commence work when instructed it is safe to do so
- Report all safety and environmental incidents and accidents