Electrical Engineering Intern
Business Unit: Diagnostic Imaging
Requisition Number: 232348
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Hoffman Estates
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: No
The selected candidate will join our hardware development team in the Molecular Imaging business unit for the duration of a semester and a summer. This team develops nuclear gamma ray detectors for SPECT and PET cameras used in the radiology departments of hospitals. The team is composed of design engineers, technicians, CAD layout specialists, and other interns to effectively design and implement printed circuit boards and electronic systems.
The electrical engineering intern position is an entry-level engineering support position intended to provide the intern with industry experience, a familiarity with Siemens, and enable Siemens to obtain an in-depth evaluation of potential future staff members. The intern will be assigned tasks that fall within the scope of a typical entry-level hardware engineer. Two major goals of the internship is to expose the intern to the product lifecycle management process through applied work assignments and assign the intern an advanced task that aligns with his/her interests and ambitions.
Preferred majors and education level:
- Electrical/Computer Engineering students in graduate school or rising junior or senior.
- Development of low complexity printed circuit board assemblies and test fixtures.
- Development of test firmware/scripts for automated testing of assemblies.
- Development of engineering tools, databases, websites, and hardware infrastructure needed to support the engineering environment.
- Integration testing of new hardware/software releases with thorough documentation of test results and written report summary.
- Creation of defect reports in a defect tracking system and verification of fixes.
- Calibration and field return analysis
Experience and Competencies:
- Self-motivated individual with good oral and written English communication skills.
- Experience in Microsoft Office products.
- Familiarity with engineering tools and test equipment is considered a plus.
- Programming ability and experience with databases is a plus.
Other requirements include:
- Minimum of two years of college majoring in Electrical/Computer Engineering at an accredited college or university.
- Education focus in the following areas preferred: analog and digital signal processing, electromechanical design, FPGA development, analog circuit analysis with PSpice, embedded applications.