The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Systems Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
The Director of Systems Engineering in New Product Development will lead a large team of system engineers, who own and drive the systems integration, design space characterization, and design verification phase activities for all new product development projects.
The Director of Systems Engineering position is open in Tarrytown, NY and there is the potential to manage team members located and working at our Newark, Delaware and/or Flanders, New Jersey sites. There is an expectation of travel up to 25% to these two other sites.
The position reports to the Head of Systems Engineering within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
· Lead a large team of system engineers, who own and drive the system integration, design space characterization and design verification phase activities for all new product development projects and activities
· May also be manager of managers
· Lead team’s development of systems design concepts to meet clinical chemistry and immunoassays performance requirements
· Oversee, plan, and review: team’s technical output and artifacts, design feasibility and convergence studies, subsystem and system characterization of key design space functionality and performance parameters, and development and execution of test protocols for design verification
· Establish procedures and documentation pertaining to system integration, integration builds and engineering prototype configurations, design verification and traceability, design transfer, product risk management and quality of systems engineering deliverables
· Responsible for quality of deliverables to validation, manufacturing and services teams.
· Anticipate potential problems that may impact system performance and drive the development and implementation of risk mitigation plans
· Lead identification of solutions to complex technical issues by root cause analysis procedure and propose design modifications as they pertain to system and assay performance
· Assure team’s compliance to all integration and verification quality procedures and policies of product development
· Manage resources planning and respond in timely manner to changing business priorities with updates in overall systems integration, characterization and verification plans
· Be a people leader for a technically-focused team of both systems engineers and biochemists and work closely with direct reports to guide their professional growth
· Ensure that internal collaboration between the Systems engineering team and all interfacing Design Engineering and Commercial Product Engineering teams is strong
· Embrace a strong team-oriented approach and drive a learning mindset
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· B.S in Engineering (Mechanical, Biomedical, Electrical, Chemical, Systems, etc.) is required
· Minimum of 7+ years of relevant people leadership and managerial experience of systems engineering team
· Cross-functional team leadership experience
· Appreciation for the FDA regulated medical device industry
· Skilled in systems thinking with a broad range of knowledge and experience in systems /product requirements, integration of subsystems, test protocols/verification and validation
· Strong grasp of engineering fundamentals and its application across hardware and software platforms
· Experience providing direction and technical guidance to a team of engineers and biochemists
· Experienced in aspects of Agile framework and SCRUM
· Experienced in building strong teams and core competency development of direct reports
· Experienced in talent retention, talent acquisition and succession planning
· Skilled in maintaining an active dialogue regarding performance and career growth
· Clear thinker and influencer
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Desired Education, Experience, and Knowledge/Skills
· Master’s Degree in Engineering
· Experience with thermal control, robotics, and/or hardware/software integration
· People leadership and experience in the medical device industry
· Experienced working within large matrixed organization
· Six Sigma DFSS training
· Certified SCRUM Master