Mechanical Designer - Low Voltage Drives
Business Unit: Large Drives
Requisition Number: 232663
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Alpharetta
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Process Industries and Drives Division helps manufacturers measurably increase productivity and improve time-to-market with our innovative, integrated technology and services. We support our customers in continuously improving the reliability, safety, and efficiency of products, processes and plants.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
Mechanical and electrical design expertise to include sheet metal cabinet structures, structural steel weldments to support cabinet design, control panels, electrical control systems, and electronic packaging. Project(s) will be led by Engineer(s) from the group beginning with conceptual design, continuing through qualified design including 3D models and documentation, and finally system prototyping and test. This position can support operations on a very small scale, however the successful candidate will need to have a strong design centric background.
• Strong aptitude toward electrical/mechanical design and drafting with ability to read schematics and drawings.
• Design semi-complex electrical control systems for VFD (Variable Frequency Drives – Low Voltage) on time, driven by specifications, and within project budget.
• Design basic sheet metal cabinetry for VFD (Variable Frequency Drives – Low Voltage) on time, driven by specifications, and within project budget.
• Develop structural weldment drawing for sheet metal fabricator/vendor.
• Develop production and customer approval drawings using NX software. Documentation packages can include Bills of Material, System Assemblies, Sub-level Assemblies, Outlines, Multiview drawings, Schematics, and even wire harnesses.
• Basic knowledge of compliance standards like IEC, IEEE, and UL/CSA.
• Maintain new and revised product drawing files according to ISO procedures and standards.
• Examine, prepare and verify technical drawings and specifications of electrical systems, to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements.
• Work independently using written feedback, general standards, and guidelines, without excessive reliance on redlines or specific, per-drawing direction.
• Basic understanding of DFM (Design for Manufacturability).
• Prepare and communicate specifications for purchase of materials and equipment/tooling when necessary, during prototype phase.
• Siemens will expect the successful candidate to take on an “ownership culture” work ethic.
• Other duties relating to CAD as required by the Design/Drafting Manager.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• BS in Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology or associate degree with 2-5 years of applicable experience.
• 3 to 5 years’ experience in VFD industry extremely preferred.
• Proficient in NX software is strongly desired.
• Proficient in Team Center PLM software desired and very beneficial.
• Solid understanding of mechanical design and a working knowledge of electrical and control design.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Visa sponsorship available only for employees of another Siemens entity.