Senior Mechanical Engineer
Business Unit: Healthineers (HC)
Requisition Number: 232702
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
Siemens Healthineers is seeking an experienced Consumable Part and Automation Engineer to contribute to new platform development within their Molecular Diagnostics Business. Contributions are expected at the individual level. Must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment. Capable of integrating requirements from the various stakeholders and have ability to balance the needs of cost, quality and time-to-market.
The successful candidate will be the subject matter expert for the design and development of consumable plastic components for IVD systems based on PCR. As the design and assembly of parts are intimately linked, we expect the engineer to have had experience designing/guiding the large scale automated assembly and fabrication of parts and subassemblies
- Leads the analysis, evaluation and planning for methods of approach, and organizes means to achieve the solution to highly complex problems.
- Designs and leads the testing or investigations pertaining to the development of the most complex new designs, methods, materials, or processes and investigates possible application of results.
- Leads the development of reports, charts, graphs, and other documents and makes recommendations.
- Reviews and approves related inputs such as experimental reports, analysis and specifications prepared by technical support personnel.
- Leads the delivery of specifications and directions to team members, suppliers, outside consultants and development partners.
- Conceive, design, prototype and launch consumable parts supporting IVD products based on PCR .
- Establish working relationships with vendors for outsourcing of engineering services, materials supply, injection molding tool design, and contract manufacturing of consumables components.
- Fixture and assembly and inspection equipment development
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Plastics, or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform at this level.
- 5-8 years of related work experience (fundamentals of plastics material properties, molding process development, and tooling design)
- Experience with creating drawings, BOMs, product specifications, and engineering drawings.
- Experience developing products in a life sciences or regulated (CE-IVD, FDA) diagnostic environment is highly desirable.
- Ability to problem solve - both defining the problem and ability to demonstrate solutions compatible with business objectives.
- Experience will all forms of high volume plastic part assembly technologies, including and not limited to – ultrasonic welding, thermosealing, laminating, laser welding, staking, adhesive bonding, The candidate will have consulted on, or ideally developed , high volume, automated assembly and testing equipment.
- Experience with surface modification technologies to control wetting, or control hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties as well as selecting plastics that can support PCR related chemistries.
- Will have launched consumable part designs supporting production volumes in the millions/year as a minimum.
- Desire to join a start-up effort within a major multi-national corporation.
- Should be able to draw on first principles to figure out effective solutions.
- Ability to work independently and in project teams
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken or most importantly, through demonstration of beautiful design
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and Microsoft Office applications.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience with molding optical parts or parts with optical surface quality with excellent transmission and fluorescent properties.