Senior Research Scientist - Control and Optimization
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 232950
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 10%
Are you interested in driving the revolution from automated to autonomous systems in real industrial applications?
Here’s the right opportunity for You!
Join our research group Autonomous Systems and Control located in Princeton, NJ, and drive innovation in control and optimization for diverse application areas such as flexible manufacturing in smart factories, smart grid, intelligent transportation systems, and robotics. We support our business units from the early phase of identifying opportunities through designing algorithms and building prototypes up to validating these prototypes in the field. Our close contact to different business units provides the opportunity to participate in projects in the areas of power system automation, factory automation, intelligent traffic systems, power generation, renewables integration, mobility etc., making for an exciting and challenging environment. Have a look at our recent Picture of the Future dossiers on and on to get an overview of Siemens’ recent developments in these areas.
What are your responsibilities?
· You drive innovation in control and optimization for industrial applications like smart factories, smart grid, intelligent transportation systems or robotics based on advanced automatic control, optimization, and machine learning methods.
· You implement these innovative control and optimization functions in quick prototypes, feasibility studies, technical specifications, and eventually into larger systems and product components.
· You test and evaluate these functions in laboratory and field tests.
· You identify, define, acquire and lead industrial R&D projects.
· You work with our business units to understand algorithm requirements and deliver solutions.
· You protect the results of your work through patent applications and publish results at conferences or in top journals.
What skills are needed to qualify for this job?
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related fields with strong focus on automatic control and optimization required; at least 3 years of post-PhD experience in the same field, e.g. in an industrial research center, a national lab, or in academia, required.
- Strong theoretical background and practical experience in different optimization and automatic control methods like nonlinear and mixed-integer programming, and model-predictive control, robust and nonlinear control, reinforcement learning e.g. proven through at least 5 years research in this field.
- Good knowledge of at least one industrial application domain like flexible manufacturing, robotics, power system, intelligent transportation systems, and the corresponding modelling and simulation methods and tools e.g. proven through at least 3 years research in this field.
- Proven ability to develop new research ideas as demonstrated by a strong publication record and early developments to the level of a working system prototypes as well as involvement in writing funding proposals for research grants.
- Good knowledge of tools and languages typically used to support design and validation of optimization and controller design, e.g. C/C++, MATLAB, Simulink.
- Real world problem solving and a hands-on, can-do mentality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#