Senior SPECT Scientist
Business Unit: Diagnostic Imaging
Requisition Number: 232951
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Hoffman Estates
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: 10%
At Siemens Healthineers, we are passionate about enabling healthcare professionals to deliver high quality patient care, and to do so affordably. A leading global healthcare company, Siemens Healthineers continues to strengthen our portfolio of medical imaging and laboratory diagnostics, while adding new offerings such as managed services, consulting, and healthcare IT services – as well as further technologies in the growing market for therapeutic and molecular diagnostics.
Siemens Healthineers develops innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape.
Siemens Healthineers Molecular Imaging, a $1 Billion Business Unit within Siemens Medical Solutions US, has an opening for a Physicist at our Hoffman Estates, IL location. We are a high-technology business leading the change towards personalized medicine. The selected candidate will join the Detector Center Research & Development department.
Successful candidate will possess a solid understanding of Solid State Physics specific to scintillation materials and technologies of single crystal growth. Successful candidate will be required to be a hands-on scientist experienced in crystal growth of metal halides materials, crystal forging and annealing. The Candidates theoretical background, experience, and applied knowledge in crystal growth furnace tuning, furnace operation and crystal forging as well as material engineering and characterization will enable the candidate to further drive yield and performance improvements of the established NaI:Tl crystal growth operation.
Candidates must be comfortable with the use of technical theories in practical applications. Candidate must have strong written and verbal communication skills and have the ability to work independently, yet collaboratively, in multidisciplinary team environment.
This Role will include the following responsibilities:
Sr. Scientist for NaI:Tl crystal quality control, sustaining of crystal growth operation and continuous process improvement. Technical interface between NaI:Tl Crystal Operation, NCC management and SCM Detector Production and to suppliers. Drive feasibility and improvement studies throughout the complete manufacturing lifecycle: concept research, growth process design, simulations, experiments, material characterization and release to manufacturing of validated processes.
Specific responsibilities are below
· Ph.D. in physics /nuclear engineering or related experimental field
· A minimum of 5-10 years of experience in a research environment in one of these experimental physics fields: Solid state physics, scintillation physics, crystal growth, crystal analytics and characterization or related field.
· Support scintillation crystal research and crystal growth furnace design
· Support crystal growth operation
· Participates in scientific conferences, publishing in peer-reviewed journals
· Protects innovations with invention disclosures and patents
· Travels both internationally and domestically for supplier visits and conferences
· Strong computer skills
· Excellent hand-on laboratory skills, passion for experimental work
· Detail oriented and organized, excellent communication skills, written and verbal
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Outstanding ability to work independently, be creative, overcome obstacles
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Proficient in luminescence spectroscopy, scintillation physics
· Experienced in sub-picosecond laser spectroscopy
· Experience in crystal physics modeling and computational analysis
· Experience in programming languages, e.g. C+, C# or Python
· Experience in Monte Carlo simulation of radiation physics, in particular Geant4, GATE, or EGS4