Intern - Networking Researcher
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 232994
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Doctorate Degree
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Position Title: Summer Intern: Networking Researcher
Are you interested in applying cutting-edge networking innovations to real industrial networks?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for You!
Join our research group located in Princeton, NJ, for a summer internship starting May 2019, and investigate novel solutions to address the challenge of rapidly changing application landscape on industrial networks. You will get hands-on experience on implementing your algorithms on realistic industrial network systems to evaluate various design choices. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research. An internship with Siemens Corporate Technology is a great opportunity for students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment.
Our Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities?
· You will contribute to industrial research projects on optimizing networks for rapidly changing industrial applications.
· You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of embedded system, communications and networking.
· You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes.
· You will be encouraged towards submitting the work to a top-tier conference.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship? (Keep this high level if you plan on hiring multiple interns with varied backgrounds and skills sets)
- A current student pursuing a MS/PhD degree in Engineering
- 3 years of experience in advanced algorithm prototyping
- 3 years programming experience in MATLAB, python and C++, e.g. writing reusable code
- Domain knowledge in networking is preferred
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on