Design Engineer I - Building Automation/Energy Management Controls - Richmond, VA
Business Unit: Field Operations
Requisition Number: 233154
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Richmond
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: 5%
The Siemens Building Technologies Division is the North American market leader for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings and infrastructure. As a technology partner, service provider, and system integrator, Building Technologies has offerings for fire protection; life safety; and security as well as building automation; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); and energy management. Since 1995, Siemens has helped to modernize nearly 7,000 buildings worldwide, including important American landmarks such as World Trade Center Memorial, Times Square Building, Carnegie Hall, Walt Disney World and the Mount Vernon Estate. For more information, please visit: https://www.siemens.com/us/en/home/company/about/businesses/buildingtechnologies.html
Are you ready to design and create the equipment, machines, and systems that light our homes and power our economy?
This position is for a design engineer, who works with our local Siemens team to sell, design, install, and service building automation systems. Building automation system consists of electronic digitally communicating Direct Digital Controls for HVAC applications in commercial, institutional, and industrial buildings. The systems are comprised of servers, computers, digital programmable controllers, sensors, and actuators to operate HVAC systems and monitor them. The design engineer works with a team of design engineers under an engineering supervisor to develop designs for projects. Projects are installed by project managers, field electricians and technicians, then turned over to our service team for ongoing support.
· Develops building automation system, DDC, HVAC controls designs.
· Generates drawings, schedules, submittals, plans, and specifications for contract and installation submittal packages to meet project specifications.
· Generates as-built drawings and operation & maintenance manuals for project close-out.
· Analyzes contract documents to develop design documents, selects products to meet design and specification intent.
· Responsible for identifying and resolving constructability and project scope issues.
· Develops initial system database for field installation.
· Responsible for ordering project materials and maintaining project schedule with respect to product availability.
· Supports field installation team with engineering re-designs, phone support, on-site support, construction meetings, etc.
· Supports sales team with project review and scope analysis. Participates in site investigations as necessary.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education and Experience
· Basic HVAC and electrical knowledge
· Knowledge of thermodynamics, heat transfer, electrical and electronic engineering
· Working knowledge of network types and protocols is preferred.
· Knowledge of the construction environment and processes is preferred.
· Proficiency of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
· Proficiency with Computed Aided Drafting software, in particular AutoCAD is required.
· Familiarity with drafting and engineering drawings standards is required.
· BS/BA or advanced degree in mechanical or electrical engineering is required.
· Demonstrates a basic knowledge of professional principles and skills.
· Typically up to 2 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of
· Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.
· Strong communication skills
· Strong self-motivator
· Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States.
· Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.