J-1 International Intern – Control and Optimization for Smart Grids
Business Unit: Corporate Technology
Requisition Number: 233322
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: No
J-1 International Intern – Control and optimization for smart grids
Are you interested in developing new control and optimization functions for real industrial smart grid applications?
Here’s the right internship opportunity for you!
Join our research group Autonomous Systems and Control located in Princeton, NJ, for a 3 – 9 month internship, and investigate new control and optimization functions for smart grids. Our close contact to different business units in Siemens provides the opportunity to contribute to and gain experience in real industrial applications. During this internship, you will experience the excitement and challenges of industrial research. An internship with Siemens Corporate Technology is a great opportunity for students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment.
Our Princeton facility is recognized for providing a stimulating environment for highly talented and self-motivated students. You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
What are my responsibilities?
- You will contribute to industrial research projects on control and optimization for power systems and smart grid
- You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of control and optimization
- You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes and hardware.
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- A current or recently graduated MS or PHD student pursuing a degree in Engineering or Mathematics
- Profound knowledge of advanced automatic control (optimal, robust, and model-predictive control) and/or optimization concepts
- Experience in advanced algorithm prototyping
- Good programming knowledge in MATLAB and C++, e.g. writing reusable code
- Practical experience in research on control and optimization
- Laboratory experience in electrical testbeds and embedded systems preferred
- Domain knowledge in power systems preferred
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills in English
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
Please note: This posting is for J-1 International Intern candidates only. If you are currently enrolled in a university in the United States and are interested in an internship with Siemens USA, please view and apply to our other internship opportunities.