Senior Software Developer - Rail Automation
Business Unit: Mobility Management
Requisition Number: 233345
Primary Location: United States-Minnesota-Minnetonka
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
If you really want to make a difference - make it with Siemens.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in seven Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Digital Factory, Process
Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional
passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
With over 372,000 people working at Siemens, it would be hard to define one single culture. However, we do have values which we like to live by. They're things like providing honest, open feedback, encouraging people to take ownership of projects and supporting entrepreneurialism in the workplace. We like to act as a team at Siemens. We believe if we all work as one, together we can make the world a smarter place.
Siemens Rail Automation is seeking to hire a Senior Software Developer. In this role, you will be part of a team that designs and supports the Siemens vision for North American Rail Automation. Your tasks will include design and development of the Back Office Server (BOS). BOS is part of the Positive Train Control (PTC) initiative, which is a rail transportation model that is currently being used throughout multiple countries to improve railroad safety.
PTC is shaping the landscape of the rail transportation industry for decades to come and will be leveraged as a backbone for future technologies that will lead to network optimization and an autonomous rail network.
- Subject matter expert of Train Control Systems at an operational and technical level
- Design, enhancement, testing, implementation, and support of software
- Develop software and test requirements for modules under development, executes test specifications
- Provide estimates for complex modules under development, and estimate own work
- Contribute to reviews of customers' standards specification and other documentation to determine software engineering requirements
- Contribute to the software quality process through the execution of very complex module, subsystem and system test procedures
- Take leadership initiatives in software development projects
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS Degree or foreign equivalent in Computer Science or Engineering
- 8+ years Software Engineering in an Agile Environment, Analyzing Information, Software Debugging, Software Documentation, Software Testing, Problem Solving, Teamwork
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Develop high quality software in C++ and quickly come up to speed in similar languages
- Review and debug code
- Perform system programming and automation tasks in a Linux environment
- Lead and mentor other developers, but also work independently with little supervision
- Identify, prioritize and execute tasks in the software development lifecycle
- Write and assist in technical documentation
- Ability to be part of a 24X7 on-call rotation
- Experience with the version control system git, relational databases and unit and integration testing frameworks
- Use and automate standard Linux build and debugging tool chains
- Interface with customer and provide technical feedback in a customer-friendly manner
- Estimate software development efforts
- Deep understanding of complex software topics such as multithreading and inter-process communication asynchronicity
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Development and maintenance of legacy systems
- Industrial control systems with hot-standby redundancy
- AI and data analytics
- Knowledge in the Railroad domain including BOS, PTC, and WinCC OA
In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
-A competitive base salary
-Excellent health/vision/dental plans, 401k match, tuition reimbursement, & 18 days of PTO to start
-Extensive training along with career development
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.