Electrical Power Systems Engineer
Business Unit: Large Drives
Requisition Number: 233564
Primary Location: United States-Pennsylvania-New Kensington
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthineers and Financial Services.
The Siemens Process Industries and Drives Division helps manufacturers measurably increase productivity and improve time-to-market with our innovative, integrated technology and services. We support our customers in continuously improving the reliability, safety, and efficiency of products, processes and plants.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/process-industries-and-drives.htm
Electrical Power Systems Engineer reporting to the Manager of Electrical & Mechanical Systems Engineering. Responsible to coordinate and lead moderately complex design projects in order to meet product requirements, cost targets and product features, while ensuring a high quality design is release on-time to support project milestone and project budget.
· Perform semi-complex technical design activities to produce an innovative, reliable, cost effective solution for the customers.
· Lead design and feature development, design validation, type testing for 3rd party compliance and system packaging.
· Interface with cross functional groups that include mechanical engineering, applications engineering, manufacturing, compliance, testing, drafting and documentation globally for product release that would meet market and customer specifications.
· Interpret power components specifications, electrical drawings and product requirement specification.
· Develop technical specifications for electrical components (low voltage and medium voltage).
· Develop new design methods, new processes or design changes to improve process and manufacturing efficiency.
· Perform technical analysis for type test (component and system level) to qualify the prototype design and release to production.
· Design, analyze and implement Low Voltage and Medium Voltage power electronics based converter systems, magnetic components and control strategies.
· Provide technical expertise for failure mode and root cause analysis.
· Strong technical leadership, documentation, project management, and writing skills.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Minimum BS degree with 3-5 years of related experience in Electrical, Power Systems Engineering and/or Power Electronics.
· Strong grasp on fundamentals of electrical engineering (or) power electronics concepts, theories and practical applications.
· Experience in design, analysis, development and testing of power electronics based converters required.
· Experience with cost estimation, stock verification using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) tools preferred.
· Required travel 5%.
· Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Power Electronics
· Engineering experience with Medium Voltage Power Systems is preferred.
· Experience in practical application of engineering skills to manufacturing, test and field installations
· Demonstrates and applies a broad knowledge of field of specialization through successful completion of moderately complex assignments.
· Successfully applies complex knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular area of specialization.
· Demonstrates knowledge of organization's business practices and issues.
· Typically 3-5 years of successful experience in related field. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.